Honored Contributor

DO COMMERCIALS INFLUENCE YOU?

I'm talking about television and internet commercials here ....  most of them I totally ignore, and I can't even remember the last time I bought something because of a commercial.

Alas, this has changed ..... after being barraged by countless Dawn Dishwashing Liquid commercials recently, with them cleaning up all the oily baby ducks, I bought a bottle of Dawn yesterday.    Gotta help the baby ducks.  Heart

How about you?  Do you pay much attention to commercials .....    and do you ever find yourself buying something you remember being advertised somewhere?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO COMMERCIALS INFLUENCE YOU?

no

never watch them

never

Honored Contributor

The Dawn dishwashing commercials do make you want to buy it but is is ironic and not mentioned that they do test on animals!

Why oh why do they need to do that when they seem to be doing good with the oil cleaning disasters.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Not at all.  But I do love Dean Winters as Mayhem in the insurance commercials.  Sadly, for the insurance company, I don't remember what company he represents. I'm pretty sure those aren't words they want to hear!

Honored Contributor

No, not at all.  I'm like some other's.  I don't watch them.  A commercial means getting something to eat and/or drink and it is a way I fast forward over the commercials!

Valued Contributor

I would love to say that I am immune to advertising but I know that would be wishful thinking. I bought Dawn because of the ducklings and marvel at the clever ads I see on TV. I have even clicked on an internet ad. I bought my favorite mahabi slippers because of an ad I think. 

I try to never pay attention to them but the mayhem guy and a few others catch my attention. 

Honored Contributor

No. Ads of any type stopped having an influence on me when I finally saw the light. I am a marketing departments' nightmare.

Honored Contributor

I've never bought the sets of Time Life CD's with the music, but I will leave the whole commercial on and watch and listen to a lot of the older songs. 

Honored Contributor

I do not believe I am influenced by commercials other than the catchy songs they use sometimes get stuck in my head.  I do not buy things I see on TV for sale. 

Most commercials are for unhealthy things ...food, drink....or cars  or Drugs.  I drive a 20 year old car  and only focus on good nutrition and  take NO PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS.  

I have noticed of late so much  Drug company advertising  on TV.  It is horrible....worst thing they ever started allowing on TV since the time when cigarettes were advertised like they were good for you too.  

Honored Contributor

For me, yes I think they do. Especially commercials for new products that I have never seen or tried before. Otherwise I probably would have never tried the products if not for seeing the commercials first.