Respected Contributor

I'd like to have my granddog's DNA tested to find out his background.  Who do you recommend for the testing?  Thanks!!!

Respected Contributor

I'd suggest you use a company called "Embark", as they are associated with Cornell University.  They can not only do ancestry testing, but health testing as well.  Good luck, I hope you find out fun things about the ancestry, and good news on the health front!

Super Contributor

I have used Wisom Panel purchased on Amazon. Have done 4 dogs and find the information thorough and useful.

Frequent Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

I'd suggest you use a company called "Embark", as they are associated with Cornell University.  They can not only do ancestry testing, but health testing as well.  Good luck, I hope you find out fun things about the ancestry, and good news on the health front!

Good advice 🐶🐩🐕 Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: DNA TESTING FOR DOGS (Embark)

I have a year old Pomeranian and was thinking about doing a DNA health testing.  Has anyone done this and found out health issues.  Does this say it is possible for certain things with this type of dog or does it give specific medical infor for the dog you have.  Also if you have pet insurance wondering if the insurance company could access and deny claims.  Just curious about what infor the tesing shows.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DNA TESTING FOR DOGS (Embark)

We did DNA on Willow White through Embark.  We were told by the shelter that she is absolutely Chorkie (Chihuahua and Yorkie)...and, she is with 50% Yorkie, 44% Chihuahua, and 6% each (but even that said terrier mix).  So yep, she's a Chorkie. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix