Trusted Contributor

I live in Phoenix but travel to LAX frequently to visit my daughter's family including 7 beautiful grandchildren!

Always fly Southwest, but am distressed at  increasing fares on this route!  It's now almost $400 t!!

Looked on web for discount tik sites and the savings seem enormous (over $150)!

The best discount round-trip is about $235 with American Airlines (return trip through their commuter airline, Mesa Air).

Has anyone used a discount air fare site?  Any feed backback you can give me, like hidden fees, surcharges (in addition to the $41. in taxes they disclose)?  Air safety? Customer Service?

I'm assuming there is no refund or transfer of funds if, for any reason, I have to change the dates.

Thanks so much!!

Honored Contributor

I use Hotwire quite frequently.

Honored Contributor

We fly SW, but not exclusively, and have Rapid Rewards thru them. 

We fly monthly and sometimes from coast to coast.  Although we use the Ontario airport, flights are about $200.

I just put in Phx to Lax for mid May and it was about $118 one way.  Not bad.  Using Wanna Get Away flights.

Respected Contributor

I Live on the east coast so I'm not familiar with your route, but I don't like the small planes on the commuter lines.  They are the first to get canceled.

Sign up for membership points and stick to one airline (that's what I prefer to do). Buy tickets in advance to get the best fare.  Eventually you accumulate enough points for a free ticket.

Trusted Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

I live in Phoenix but travel to LAX frequently to visit my daughter's family including 7 beautiful grandchildren!

Always fly Southwest, but am distressed at  increasing fares on this route!  It's now almost $400 t!!

Looked on web for discount tik sites and the savings seem enormous (over $150)!

The best discount round-trip is about $235 with American Airlines (return trip through their commuter airline, Mesa Air).

Has anyone used a discount air fare site?  Any feed backback you can give me, like hidden fees, surcharges (in addition to the $41. in taxes they disclose)?  Air safety? Customer Service?

I'm assuming there is no refund or transfer of funds if, for any reason, I have to change the dates.

Thanks so much!!

You left out one of the most important aspects relating to purchasing a ticket and that is what timeframe.  I just looked at SW's site and found their "wanna get away" fares from LAX to PHX for $118 one way and $236 for RT but that was based on a departure and return date in March.  If you are trying to purchase tickets and plan to leave within a short timeframe fares are almost always going to be significantly higher.  When you plan a little farther ahead, you can get find those lower discount fares.  Also even though you said you travel frequently you didn't mention if you are in their Rapid Rewards program.  I don't know their latest rules, but membership can help you get and use points toward a flights.

Trusted Contributor

My dates are 3/6-3/10 and I've been checking fares for at least 3 weeks.

I have SW Rapid Rewards and recently got a free trip so I'll have to build up my points again.

Also, I am not interested in travelling at odd hours like very early in the morning or late in the evening.  My daughter always picks me up and brings me to airport so with all her kids  (7)I have to be realistic.  I could easily spend an additional $200 for taxis on both ends of the trip if she didn't pick me up and drop me off.

I recently retired and I want to make sure i'm getting the most "bang for my buck" on these trips.  I usually get over to L.A. every 6-8 weeks.

I appreciate all this info!!

Honored Contributor

Re: DISCOUNT AIR TRAVEL

[ Edited ]

i dont mind traveling during "off hours" and "off days" if i am getting a great deal! if it is very early or very late i just use the blue shuttle which is quite a bit cheaper than taking a taxi.

i usually just check out the airlines websites for great deals instead of using a middle man. also check out arrivals at john wayne airpoirt instead of lax if that is an option.

3/6-3/10 isnt the greatest time to travel either.....i am sure fares are higher due to spring break.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

I am in the travel industry.  I highly recommend booking your travel directly with the airline.  Or hotel.  Only use the true website for each company.

As for pricing, rates fluctuate based upon demand.  Check prices often.

Trusted Contributor

That's EXACTLY why I posted this here as, for sure, I have always gotten excellent info from this board!

Given my time frame, do you think it's reasonable to expect that there will be some fluctuation in my favor as the time elapses or do you think there's not enough time to get any decent pricing.?

BTW, I just got my Mother's Day tix from SW for $118 each way so I grabbed it!!

Honored Contributor

Re: DISCOUNT AIR TRAVEL

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda, we use the Kayak website because it allows us to compare airline prices between: 

* Priceline 

* Delta 

* Hotwire 

* Expedia 

* Travelocity

I think we get great prices this way. -- I would avoid Spirit because they seem to like to sneak in extra charges.

If I remember correctly, in an email, Spirit told a friend of mine that if she didn't notify them 24 hours in advance that she had a bag that she would incur a $100 surcharge. There were other landmines she had to navigate with Spirit. lol, she said she would never ever fly with Spirit again.

Best of luck!!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy