Honored Contributor

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOVING AND BEING IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE?

very confusing...you love your mom, dad, kids-you're not in love with them-you just love them

You are in love with your husband or wife or in some narcissistic cases-yourself............

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

Re: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOVING AND BEING IN LOVE WITH SOMEONE?

@catlover wrote:

very confusing...you love your mom, dad, kids-you're not in love with them-you just love them

You are in love with your husband or wife or in some narcissistic cases-yourself............

Relationships are fluid.   You can love your SO like you would love a child--for example when he's sick, but you obviously should love him/her as a husband/wife in better times.   The English language is so lacking in the love department.   Just not enough words to explain.

I love my pets, but not like I love my kids.

And there should also be a word for an adult "child".   It's weird calling my kids my children, they are in their 20s & 30s!

Honored Contributor

Some studies have shown being in love is different.  It releases certain chemicals and people almost get high with the experience.

Loving is something else, probably deeper is my guess.

A quick look finds this from Science Daily on what falling in love does to your brain:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140206155244.htm

Esteemed Contributor

@catlover wrote:

Eros, Philia, Agape, Storge.....

Look up each to find the differences.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

The obvious difference between love for your kids or parents is that you don't have romantic love for them. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I believe there is a huge difference between loving someone and being IN love with someone. Huge.

Honored Contributor

With people like your parents/children etc there is not a sexual component. That seriously changes the relationship and feelings for your mate.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The difference for me is a bit clearer. When you're in love with someone, you only see the positive most likely because it's new and everything is perfect. You're really in love with the image and perception of that person, which is not entirely real.

When you love someone, your love transcends perception to encompass reality; you see the person's faults and you've most likely had conflict of some kind with him or her. The key difference is that despite all that you still love them. You must grow as a person to accept the people you love for who they really are even though they're not perfect.

The hardest thing about any relationship regardless if it's romantic or not, is realizing that the person is not who you thought he or she was. This takes place in my experience with parents, spouses etc.

This is why it's so hard IMO to grow up and finally realize how your parents really are. This is also what makes marriage particularly hard. When life intervenes and you must shift from being entirely in love to loving your partner regardless. No one is perfect. 

~Live with Intention~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been very lucky.I've been with the love of my life for over 30 years.I believe that we are more in love today than we ever were.Sure stuff happens & we have disappointed each other at times.But our love  ❤️ & commitment have always carried us through. People ask me what our secret is.There is no secret.We love & respect one another.We are patient & considerate.We are never to proud to apologize.And we will move heaven & earth to protect each other.My DH is more than I ever imagined he would be. We are still madly in love all these years later!!

If DH is the love of my life then my son is clearly the light of my life.My love for him has been unconditional from the day he was conceived.My admiration & respect he earned as he grew up & became a loving ,considerate & hard working young man.

My love for my friends is more fluid.A couple of them I've loved for a long time.They are like family.Then there are those friendships that have evolved & changed & unfortunately have run their course.Most of those friendships have ended.Some have become more distant.Loving friendships don't always survive marriage,children, divorce etc. Sometimes jealousy & resentment drive a wedge between friends & It's best to take a step back.

Valued Contributor

I'm sorry I don"t understand why that would be confusing to anyone