Esteemed Contributor

I have a good job.  I left this job about 8 years ago, vowing to never go back, and then I did.  They took me back.  I'm effective at what I do.

The rub is, it is very physical and I am beginning to have some recurring ailments that cause pain.  This job makes it worse.

I want to reduce my hours drastically (from 40 to like 16); fortunately, I can afford the monetary loss.

I guess the hardest part of this is accepting the fact that I have to scale back.  I hope my boss will comply.  He's said he would,but I have yet to see it in action.  I'll have to leave it can't happen.  I'm trying hard to keep my chin up but gosh I hate this.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

This sounds trite and I am not at all discounting your pain (both physical and spiritual) at this move but remember, you are blessed to be able to do this, and you have hope your boss will allow you to continue on a reduced basis.  

Changes like this and like retirement when they are life-changing and accepting a new situation.  Keep your chin up and count your blessings, and maybe look for a new activity to fill your time and interact with new people.

There are book groups at libraries and online; classes you can take like painting and crafts, educational programs you can listen to online, and puzzles you can work, or something you can bake.  Call a friend, relative or neighbor and talk about something you both enjoy, not the world situation,  drink a cup of tea or coffee and watch the birds and squirrels! 

Come here and talk to us!  Best wishes to you!  I hope it all works out for the best! 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @Sooner,I would love to mingle in a different way - not necessarily at my job.  

Thank you for the affirmation!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnoliaAccepting limitation of any kind is difficult. I'm sorry you are having health issues, but also delighted you realize the work cannot be your top priority at this stage in life. Have you and your physician talked about Disability? Perhaps that should be your first step. Let him/her know your plans so it's in your medical chart.

Give the 16 hour work week a chance. See how you feel after a reasonable amount of time. If you are vastly improved, perhaps you could increase the hours to 24 per week? You won't know until you've given it a try. Best wishes on a life with less pain. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

You're right, @BirkiLady.  Fortunately, I am at a place in life where work doesn't have to be the top priority.  Seems like only yesterday that was unthinkable.

I am hobbling around this morning trying to figure this out.  Thanks for the good advice.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

In my experience the longer you stay at the job and continue the physical work and stress the more it will effect you as you get older.  I have specific ailments due to lots of physical and mental stress when I was younger.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

@Sweetbay magnoliaMy cousin decided she would retire from her full time position and then be hired back by the same company part time working a few hours during the daytime so she could be home evenings to take care of her Mother. The boss agreed to that and she started. That lasted a couple of weeks and suddenly she found her schedule was mostly afternoons and evenings getting off work at 9 PM. She went to the boss and told him that wasn't what they had agreed to. He told her that was what they needed her for. Then the schedule changed to where it was evening one night, morning the next, then evening again, so she'd get out of work at 9 PM and back in at 8 AM. She finally had enough and retired again. What I'm saying they, many times, will agree to something and then do something completely different. Your 16 hours can turn in to 30 just because they claim that is what they "need". I know every boss is not the same, but many don't like the employee dictating what they want to do. They are the boss, and you do what you are told to do. A back-up plan of how you want to spend your time after career is over may be a good idea.

Honored Contributor

I'm retired and working a part-time on-your-feet job.  I can spend 8 or more hours on my feet in a day.   I've noticed that it isn't as easy as it was when I first retired.  I also noticed it this year when doing yard work....mowing, weeding, etc.  

At the same time, i am thrilled I can still do these things.  I was nearly crippled with arthritis and a bone-on-bone knee a few years ago.  Insurance finally approved knee replacement.  I can straighten my leg, walk, stand, and do things that I hadn't been able to for a loooong time. 

Getting old isn't for sissies.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes!  @shopperqvc, you have nailed that one!  I've started getting "better" hours (for me, that means early, not late shift) since I agreed to pick up more hours.

I had a "kwappier" schedule when I worked less.  Not sure I want to go back to that.

My boss tries to keep people happy, but he has to answer to someone, also.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie, my husband and Mom say the same thing (both older than me!).

I guess sometimes they know best.

I had a dream, in which I defied "authority".  I think my subconscious was trying to tell me something.

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

In my experience the longer you stay at the job and continue the physical work and stress the more it will effect you as you get older.  I have specific ailments due to lots of physical and mental stress when I was younger.

Cogito ergo sum