Valued Contributor

Is there a chore you LOATHE doing?

For me - grocery shopping.  I don't mind housework (including scrubbing toilets), laundry, yard work or gardening.  Grocery shopping is a necessary evil for me.  I am the worst shopper in the world when my mitts are firmly wrapped around a grocery cart handle.  I have my list, I know what's on sale, I put a line through what I've picked up and know what I still need.  Somehow I manage to be in the last aisle and still have 22 things on my list.  So backtrack I go!  Sadly, more than once.

Many years ago my husband, knowing how much I hated this simple task, volunteered to take over the much dreaded groceries.  I was overjoyed, handed him the list and sent him on his way.  He came home, pleased as punch, and had everything but what I asked for.  He brought home stew beef (the only meat he managed to put in the cart and not something I requested), and not a potato, a carrot or and onion to go with it!  We did however have an abundance of ice cream, cherry pies, Ring Dings, peanuts and other assorted snacks.  He exclaimed that he couldn't imagine why I hated grocery stores when there was so much "good stuff" there to be had!  I couldn't even get upset with him as I'm an old magpie and if you put something bright and shiny in my face I lose all comprehension of anything else.  I knew better than to let him do groceries, so it's back on me!

What's that one thing that makes you cringe just thinking about having to do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a chore you LOATHE doing?

You mean I have to pick just one?  Ha!  I don't like doing any of them.....

Trusted Contributor

Dusting.

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Try grocery delivery service. 

Best money I ever spent!

Honored Contributor

A very necessary chore but definitely NOT a favorite ---

Cleaning the bathroom.............

Image result for cat cleaning toilet

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Valued Contributor

Weeding!  I need to put myself in the mental mood to do it.  Try to meditate while I am in the yard doing it.  In this heat I can psyche myself up for about an hour and then I'm done.  Figure if I weed different areas every couple of days when I'm done...I can start over!  

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 Cute post!  I remember on the very, very rare occasions when my late husband would go to the grocery store with me (he never went much less by himself), he acted like he was in Disney World.

He'd come back to the cart with something totally useless saying, "We need this".  He drove the guy behind the fish counter crazy asking questions and on and on!

If I bought cookies he say, "We don't need those, they're only useless junk food".  Then at night when he wanted his beloved 'milk and cookies', I'd say, "You didn't want them....remember"?  He'd say (laughing), "Since when do you listen to me"?  

I see older couples shopping together.  I've never been able to do that with anyone.  I like to shop alone, totally alone.

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  An old magpie?  LOL!  (I can relate about the attraction to bright and shiny objects, though!).  I have an idea.  I HATE housework, so I'll do your grocery shopping and you can clean my condo.  My favorite grocery store is rather small by today's standards, but I've been shopping there for a long time and I know exactly where everything is.  I actually am so organized that I arrange my list so it coincides with the order that the items will be found as I go from one side of the store to the other.  I hate those huge stores because I can never find anything!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I hate to dust cause it just keeps coming back.  I've always wished someone would invent something where you could press a button and the dust would be sucked out of and off every surface in the house.

Respected Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  Your DH sounds like mine. Never met a coffee cake he didn’t like. 

He he only goes to the store once in a blue moon, for like a bag of ice. But decades ago he did the shopping and came home with everything jumbo sized. His logic was less trips to the store. That logic invented Costco