Super Contributor

I was told the same thing:  no more basic cable.  But it appears as a line item on my bill, so when I said just cancel my TV service, they said I was grandfathered in and coulkd keep it.  If I cancel TV service, I can never get basic cable again.  Boo Hoo.  My guess is canceling TV sevice means I don't want it.  I'm waiting to see my next itemized bill before decideding how much cable I want to cut.  May add a couple of sling-shots to try it out.

@hannah64

Trusted Contributor

Glad for your success, and you inspire me to think about doing something similar. We have 5 TVs: 1 on an HD box and 4 on digital adapters. Our package was grandfathered in with the purchase of Time Warner by Spectrum. However, it's too expensive and keeps going up and the price of the equipment just nickels and dimes us each month.

So, I have placed 3 Roku Express+ boxes in my Amazon shopping cart, along with a wifi signal booster for internet. The Rokus will be used on the 3 TVs that are watched the most, and we can deal with OTA antennas for the other 2. I want to look at using SlingTV and Netflix on a monthly basis  and feel that this setup could be the answer. Upfront costs for Roku boxes are recouped after one or two months.

Could just do OTA master antenna and see how many channels we pull in that way, too.

Either way -- I can't wait to walk into a Spectrum store and drop all the boxes and remotes on them to say Bye Felicia!

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs - FYI when  you drop off all the equipment, make sure you get a receipt and everything on it is correct.

Trusted Contributor

@riley1  Absolutely right about getting a receipt. I had a major hassle with them when I moved a few years ago. I went to their retail office/store, turned in all equipment, got a receipt, then kept getting billed month after month for equipment not returned. Then threatening letters to turn me over to a collection agency. Each time I would call, read the receipt number and all reference information, and receive assurance that the situation would be cleared up. It took three months before it finally was resolved.

Esteemed Contributor

@LonestarBabs - Yup, me too. Unbelievable.

Super Contributor

@LonestarBabs

Consider making one of the roku's an amazon fire stick.  With the free apps for music and video you can see the amazon programs on a roku.  A little bit of an effort, but it works.   It seems to be a one-way deal:  haven't been successful in getting roku programming on fire stick.  I had to buy Acorn thru amazon, since I couldn't get it flow from roku to fire stick.  No big deal, but you get better payment options from acorn than from amazon.   At least for now.

Honored Contributor

I've been thinking of eliminating cable. I have ROKU but the lack of numbers made me think it was going to be a cluster giving me a headache. My latest Comcast bill had yet another increase, over $200. So I decided to give R a try. It didn't work and after trying for awhile, I got a clue and changed the batteries. Solved the problem.

I don't think it will be at all annoying once I get used to it.

I called Comcast meaning to cancel but they reduced my bill by a little over $30 so I'm staying while I get proficient with ROKU. I need to decide which services to get, so many choices. I'd like to watch the PBS shows unedited. I hate that we don't see them as the British do, in their entirety.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain - Once you get the hang of Roku, there are plenty of British shows on Netflix. Also, there is another you can purchase - I think it's called Britbox - don't know how much per month it is though.

Honored Contributor

@riley1wrote:

@occasionalrain - Once you get the hang of Roku, there are plenty of British shows on Netflix. Also, there is another you can purchase - I think it's called Britbox - don't know how much per month it is though.

Thank you. Sometimes too many choices are as bad as not enough. Whatever it costs, it can't be more than Comcast. At least I won't be paying for a multitude of channels I never watch.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain - That's for sure, lol.