Super Contributor

Chopped Spectrum to minimal TV and high speed internet and wifi.  Saved $68/month.   Already had a roku and an Amazon Fire Stick and Prime membership.  I am a PBS supported, so I get Passport.  Added Sling Orange ($20/m) and Acorn ($5/m).  Net savings:  $43/month.   I spent a few hours on channel set-up and selection and think I've got the hang of Sling  (still too many sports channels).   Included in set-up time:  selecting shows for my watch list.

Net result:  Saving money and spending way too much time watching TV.    So many cool looking documentaries, movies and british mysteries/crime shows.   17 seasons of Midsommer Murders alone!  And Morse.  And Inspector Lewis.  And Great British Baking Show.  And Third Rock.....

I don't think I'm going to live long enough to make it through my current watch list... and more keep coming.  I'm going to die happy!   Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I am considering the same.  

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@GCR18  It's kind of scary at first but more than worth it.  The number of options decreases for cable, which is somewhat freeing.  And the quality of the options has improved tremendously.  I would be much richer and happier if I had done this a lot sooner.  And, in spite of what the cable company wants you to believe, you can always go back if you find it doesn't suit you.

No regrets here.

New Contributor

Can you still watch QVC?

Honored Contributor

@Italian Girlwrote:

Can you still watch QVC?

whether or not you have a cable subscription or any other subscription......qvc is free online. you can always watch it on your computer, tablet, or smartphone.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

There are several ways to watch QVC.  It's available many places as an UHF channel which you can get using a simple, cheap interior antenna.  I get QVC and Q2.  I also get NBC, ABC, CBS and a couple of PBS channels.  You can also get QVC using the Fire Stick or Roku or by going through YouTube.  I've enjoyed the Olympics on NBC in HD just using the antenna.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I have considered doing this for many years and might this year. We all watch on our tablets, don't even use the tv. 

The problem is trying to get Spectrum to quote and actual price and not have to talk to them for a half hour while they run through their seliing schpeels....

Super Contributor

Re: Cut the Cable...update

[ Edited ]

yes, you can still watch QVC and other ,shopping channels.  Free apps are available for them (and many others).   Keep saying "NO" to spectrum or call back for a different rep.  Tell the rep exactly what you want and then ask for a price.  The only thing I had to listen to was "you can't get this back", which isn't true.

I am so grateful for getting a totally incompetent rep on the chat line.  Otherwise, I would still be paying too much for too little.  Also, try the 7-day free trials.  If you don't watch much during the free trial, you might not want the service.

Contributor

I have called Spectrum Charter several times and asked for the BASIC Cable and they say they don't offer it anymore.  They say they only offer what we have which is EXPANDED Basic.  I guess this happened recently when they were bought by Time Warner.  Which one were you able to get?  I am really interested to know.

Esteemed Contributor

@excpa - Congratulations, you did it!!! We cut the TWC cord a couple of years ago. Have Roku, Netflix, Hulu and several apps we added.

It takes a minute to get used to, but sure beats the other option. You can pick and choose what you want to buy and switch around as well. 

You mentioned Midsommer Murders (my favorite) give Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries a try (Netflix).