Respected Contributor

Actually, the thing that bothers me more is that many teachers don't require their students to choose and read books independently.  Now THAT is a devastating turn of events in education.

Respected Contributor

Cursive is not the only way to physically write.

Printing by hand still works.

Evolution.  Only one way to stop it.

Honored Contributor

I "translated" papers written in cursive from a department of Engineers.... my ability to read even the most horrible handwriting became an art over the years and even though I pleaded with some of them to write with more care... they never did because they wrote as they thought......  To this day I can read just about anyone's cursive handwriting, including my doctor's.... LOL 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

Almost everything we read now is typed.  Almost everything the younger generation writes is typed.  It doesn't make sense for teachers to spend 30 minutes a day teaching cursive handwriting.  It DOES make sense for teachers to spend that time teaching keyboarding skills.  

Sincerely,

A teacher

.....and if the system breaks down no one will be able to communicate.

Sincerely

An Educator

LOL!  What?  

Respected Contributor

@motherinlaw wrote:

Every legal document requires a signature....in cursive. Are we going back to the days when an "X" will do?  This is not progress.

Nope.  Signatures do not have to be in cursive. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's the  1%  like Bill Gates who get to dictate curriculum - he wants everybody to have to use a keyboard.  It makes Bill wealthier.  He wants to run the world and keep everyone else needing his merchandise.  

Not being able to write is the dumbing of America and it being done on purpose.

Respected Contributor

@Mellie32

@Mellie32 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Keyboarding skills are easily learned but won't mean what a hand written thank you note will. Although, it may provide future jobs for translators.

No, keyboarding skills aren't easily learned.  It takes daily practice for a long period of time.  

There will be no need of translators because my generation and younger rarely ever write in cursive anyway.  The older generation's customs are becoming obsolete...it happens every generation. When my generation is 60+, we'll probably be complaining that no one emails anymore.  Smiley Happy 

By "keyboarding skills," do you mean "typing" along with moving around comfortably on a keyboard?  

@Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think @occasionalrain meant, kind of an "interpreter" for people who were not familiar with cursive.  

Respected Contributor

Just when I thought I'd heard it all....

lol

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Keyboarding skills are easily learned but won't mean what a hand written thank you note will. Although, it may provide future jobs for translators.

No, keyboarding skills aren't easily learned.  It takes daily practice for a long period of time.  

There will be no need of translators because my generation and younger rarely ever write in cursive anyway.  The older generation's customs are becoming obsolete...it happens every generation. When my generation is 60+, we'll probably be complaining that no one emails anymore.  Smiley Happy 

LOL no kidding. About the only time I even hand write anything anymore is when I'm writing notes in a cookbook or a card. And then I generally just print, not use cursive. From what I've read, most people use a mix of print and cursive anyway. I do also, on those occasions I write out something longer. But now days, even my journal is digital. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

It's the  1%  like Bill Gates who get to dictate curriculum - he wants everybody to have to use a keyboard.  It makes Bill wealthier.  He wants to run the world and keep everyone else needing his merchandise.  

Not being able to write is the dumbing of America and it being done on purpose.

Again, the word "write" doesn't only mean "cursive".  Cursive handwriting is a FORM of writing.  So is printing and typing.