Respected Contributor

Re: Curriculum for One

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono I am a retired school administrator, Ph.d also. I dealt with a lot of 504 plans .I would never recommend removing the entire piece of curriculum, but rather create something that wouod accommodate her needs.

• Whoever is in charge of her 504 plan would be responsible for this. Could she go to the media center and work on different projects related to Spanish? Legally , if I remember, if the 504 plan is only for anxiety, nothing needs to be accommodated. 

most BOEs have no clue about classroom stuff.

Do the parents know about this??? Sometimes, as you well know, kids try to pull stuff for the dramatic effectt

i wish yiur friend well. I lurk in the Saturdayam style  thread.💕

Respected Contributor

Changing the curriculum to cater to this student will do nothing to ready her for the real world. That is important education to get as well.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Things are mighty different from when I was in school.  

It would be either attend the class or fail.  I appreciate the firm discipline, now, because life isn't accommodating.  My school wouldn't neglect other students for someone who couldn't handle the course. 

Would be helpful to know the diagnosis of her eating disorder.  With her anxiety, as well, sounds like she needs psychological treatment.  That is her parents responsibility, not the school's.  

Honored Contributor

@sydsgma1 wrote:

@lolakimono I am a retired school administrator, Ph.d also. I dealt with a lot of 504 plans .I would never recommend removing the entire piece of curriculum, but rather create something that wouod accommodate her needs.

• Whoever is in charge of her 504 plan would be responsible for this. Could she go to the media center and work on different projects related to Spanish? Legally , if I remember, if the 504 plan is only for anxiety, nothing needs to be accommodated. 

most BOEs have no clue about classroom stuff.

Do the parents know about this??? Sometimes, as you well know, kids try to pull stuff for the dramatic effectt

i wish yiur friend well. I lurk in the Saturdayam style  thread.💕

@sydsgma1 

I think there are a few issues at play.  If I understand correctly, the girl (or both girls) are attending hybrid, so it would be "obvious" to others in the room if they were not participating in this unit.

In my district, we have "home and hospital teaching" for students who are not well enough to attend school in person.  Of course with Covid, most of those students were already 100% virtual. 

If an eating disorder is to the level that it "consumes" her life and she cannot function in school, then she should probably be in in-patient treatment or go on home and hospital teaching, or whatever their district calls it.  

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

Changing the curriculum to cater to this student will do nothing to ready her for the real world. That is important education to get as well.

I don't see a need to change the curriculum, but the student dealing with an eating disorder is already living in the real world.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sydsgma1 I thought about the parents knowing crossed my mind also. In my area many, many kids are labeled with some type of learning problem ( with the parents full knowledge) so they are able to take more time when testing. Most of these kids have no real learning problems. What is happening to our education system ( no need to answer I already know.... have been in education my whole adult life)?

Honored Contributor

Parents need to assume responsibility for the physical and mental health of their children. No school should be expected to meet these needs, it would be impossible. 

Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@sydsgma1 I thought about the parents knowing crossed my mind also. In my area many, many kids are labeled with some type of learning problem ( with the parents full knowledge) so they are able to take more time when testing. Most of these kids have no real learning problems. What is happening to our education system ( no need to answer I already know.... have been in education my whole adult life)?

Oh yes, this does happen. I've worked in the school system for many years and couldn't believe how many parents pushed for their kids to be tested and subsequently labeled with learning probs as it took any responsibility off them--the parents-- for their learning.  And many of the kids didn't have actuall learning probs but rather serious behaviors due to no parenting at home.  That's the problem I see nowadays---no parenting and no accountability by parents for their kids. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was going to say similar to @sydsgma1.

If she has a 504, then something appropriate could be thought of for her to do instead of this course.

Maybe research and write a report on something that interests her.

And if there is a 504 instructional assistant, they could help coordinate this.And if not, the student could just come up with something on her own with the teacher's approval. 

There is nothing better for self esteem then to create your own course! 

As for the friend, I think she would just have to stay in the course already on the school agenda.

It might be great to be with your friend for a course, but they can do that out of school.

I look at the whole thing as a way to create something interesting and fulfilling for this student.

I taught kids with 504 plans, i.e.p.'s, so to me it is a fun challenge.

And eta, like in Star Trek, each person or creature was respected for their unique contributions. Not everyone had to conform or be the same. Rather they were welcomed and appreciated for their different abilities which others may not have had.

And one more thing. It hurts me to read of some comments that some think parents are asking their kids to be tested when they think they really have no learning problems or disabilities.

Unless you have a child that legitimately has learning problems, or behavioral problems beyond the usual childhood ones (i.e. ADD, etc), or you are a teacher who has taught all kinds of children and can recognize which ones do need a different way of teaching or more support, there is really no way you can judge why a parent is doing this.

You can only say, "There but for the grace of G..d, go I." 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@sydsgma1 I thought about the parents knowing crossed my mind also. In my area many, many kids are labeled with some type of learning problem ( with the parents full knowledge) so they are able to take more time when testing. Most of these kids have no real learning problems. What is happening to our education system ( no need to answer I already know.... have been in education my whole adult life)

To qualify for special education services, a student must have a documented disability that is covered under IDEA, and needs special education in order to access the general curriculum. 

Are these children that you referenced with no real learning problems your students? 

“Access” is an important term in education. Makin

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky