Respected Contributor

I play the NYT online crosswords often but the harder ones aggravate me as they are intended to do!  Some of those clues require you to live in someone else's head!

Respected Contributor

I've been loving crossword puzzles since I was a child. I always use a black pen.

One of my sisters gives me the NY Times puzzle calendar each Christmas. It is one of my most favorite pursuits!

Esteemed Contributor

I have been doing crossword puzzles for years, love them.  I always had newspapers delivered and of course Sunday was the big day.  Crossword puzzles and all the other types of puzzles thrown in.  Lindsay and I did some of them together but I finally gave up home delivery so now I buy crossword puzzles books and work from them.  As we grow older doing puzzles is great for our minds, at least I believe it is.  Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I used to enjoy crosswords, but not so much any more.  I find they're either too easy or too hard / too cute with their clues.   Now, the only time I work on one is when my brother and sister-in-law stay over night; they like to work together on the NYT puzzle after breakfast.

Honored Contributor

I love them too! Actually, I love any word puzzle, and I always have. 

Some great poster here recommended the Sporcle website. I joined, and that is the way I relax. They always have a Sunday crossword, and sometimes I can find others. Lots of fun! 

A few years ago I went on a retreat, and my secret partner gave me a few crossword and Sudoku puzzle books. We had meetings and work to do, but we also had some spare time. It was cold. I enjoyed working on some of them in my room, and later on that summer I took them to the beach with me. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the reminder with this thread. I finally got back at it today and did the regular one and the NYT one in my paper. I do also get the Thursday paper so I'll have to try to get back to those too.

Valued Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I have to add that the name Uta Hagen will forever be stuck in my head thanks to the NYT crossword. Woman LOL

@pigletsmom  I had to laugh at the Uta Hagen reference.  I so know what you mean.  How about Ric Ocasek and EMO music genre?  There are other cryptic crossword quirks that an enthusiast appreciates.  Our local paper carries the LA Times crossword.  Hub and I work it every day.  I do the top half and leave him the lower.  Sometimes I get a little wild and let him do the top. Also, we almost always play Password at family gatherings.  So fun!

Respected Contributor

Ok ladies I need some suggestions for Christmas for DH who is a crossword doer. I just ordered him that set of crossword pencils but need a few more ideas. Help! TIA.

Frequent Contributor

Love crosswords! On paper or on app. Smiley Happy