Honored Contributor

Re: Cross Stitch

[ Edited ]

Hobby Lobby has cross stitch kits and accessories.  I used to cross stitch but haven't done it in years...In fact I just recently picked up a cross stitch Christmas ornament kit I plan to work on to get started cross stitching again.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@froggy wrote:

I spend from two to four hours per day doing counted cross stitch. Just google cross stitch for several online stores. I've also gotten some discontinued patterns from Etsy.

I prefer to just buy the leaflets rather than the kits. Besides having a ton of thread already I just prefer to start from scratch.

I haven't thought about counted cross stitch for years.  I replicated the "Mona Lisa" in counted cross stitch about 20 years ago.  It took me about 3 1/2 years to complete the project to my satisfaction.

I do prefer the most complex patterns. I just finished one that took me two years to complete. But I do need a pattern - can't create on my own.

Regular Contributor

@froggy 

The most complex patterns I have ever worked are from Theresa Wentzler. Lots of colors, lots of combined colors, lots of metallics. Crazy making at times, but the end results are lively!

If you like beadwork, Lavendar and Lace has beautiful angels and fairies.

Frequent Contributor

I just picked up my cross stitching again about 3 weeks ago, I haven't done it in years.  I gave up when I couldn't see the fabric holes anymore.  Then I found magnifiing glasses on Amazon and everything is clear as can be.  I have so many projects I can work on again.  Some are quite intricate so I have to work my way back into those.

Respected Contributor

I still have all my old cross stitch and country crafts magazines and have started to look at the patterns again.

I might try to start with a design done all in the same color.

Valued Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

I haven't done this since I was a little kid with my mom. Forgot all about it. Looks like I'm heading over to Esty and see what they have.

Took the words out of my mouth! My mom taught me to cross stitch (along with many other crafts) as a child. I've been thinking tying it again, I tend to need to be doing something with my hands (and between being at home more and it getting dark so early, it seems like the perfect time)!

Occasional Contributor

I cross stitch every day and have done this craft for 40 years.  The best place to get patterns is Mystic Stitch.com.  I only use the full edge to edge designs (not open spaces) which produce a much nicer result.  

Respected Contributor

@Lois in SCC wrote:

I cross stitch every day and have done this craft for 40 years.  The best place to get patterns is Mystic Stitch.com.  I only use the full edge to edge designs (not open spaces) which produce a much nicer result.  

Oh I so agree! I pass on designs with open areas.

Contributor
Thanks for the suggestions. I just signed up to receive the Herschners Catalog. I need to make time in the day to do some Cross Stitch as well as some reading now that I’m retired.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cross Stitch

[ Edited ]

@Orchestrateacher wrote:
Does anyone Cross Stitch anymore? Where are the best places to purchase patterns? Thanks!

@Orchestrateacher  Yes!!  Been doing it for about 30 yrs.  Good patterns.......Mystic Stitch,  Everything Cross Stitch.  I'm sure there are others.  I prefer the ones that are a solid picture.  I have several framed.  Very theraputic for me.

I do not like the kits.  The floss in them never seems to be enough and no numbers for the floss.  The patterns let you buy your own floss and you never run out Smiley Happy