Respected Contributor

Crocheted Favorite Patterns we love

[ Edited ]

A9A742A1-A8C0-4E90-A815-6CB3ED3399E6.jpegI just finished a baby Afghan in white and baby blue for my friend. I just started another baby blanket for another friend due in June. This one is in white and aqua. 
Here is what it looks like. The pattern is easy and called Blueberry Waffleghan on patternsforcrochet.com.uk. It is easier than it looks. The complete pattern is free on this site.

It kept saying my photo was too large no matter how small I made it so this is what the blue looks like. So here is a photo of the stitches up close. Looks great in any color and you can adjust the size. I made a crib size so the baby can use it a long time.
Would love to see what others are making.754578E5-CAFF-487B-A706-EBDE36CE0A45.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Crocheted Favorite Patterns we love

I recently gave most of my yarn collection to charity, I have arthritis in my hands and I can no longer crochet. I can knit. though. Last year I made my friends grand son a carriage cover, and I was so touched when she sent me a photo of it on his carriage

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@MKR14 

Your work is beautiful.  What a treasured gift your Afghan will be!

I sew blankets for Project Linus, and many of the women there crochet baby blankets.  These are given out monthly to local groups doing work for sick children and teens.  Many of the crochet blankets go to babies in need.

Their work is so beautiful, just like yours. 

I sew larger fleece blanets for older children, but I love watching these women working.  Their hands fly through the stitches.

Such a lovely skill I never learned, even though I've tried several times.

Honored Contributor

@MKR14

I’ve been crocheting (and knitting) lap afghans for charity using Lion Brand Mandala yarn. My own designs to optimize the color changes. Also prayer shawls for our church ministry.

There is one crochet sweater pattern that I’ve customized for my particular style. It’s the Seamless Cardigan from Annie’s Catalog website. And I’m using the book Modular Crochet to make custom sweaters.

I only keep a few of the sweaters - most go to Goodwill or some other charity. I’m retired so I have plenty of time to knit and crochet.

A friend and I teach knitting and crochet through our church group.
Honored Contributor

@MKR14 @Well done.That is a beautiful treasure..not many can do that type of work anymore.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@MKR14 @Well done.That is a beautiful treasure..not many can do that type of work anymore.

Knitting and crochet is alive and well 

women and men all ages it's out there 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the lovely comments. I wish I lived near you that would love to learn to crochet. I have often wanted to teach a class in my city. If you can learn 4 basic stitches and then have someone actually show you then following a pattern will not seem so hard.

I also knit and the first thing I knitted was a Winnie the Pooh sweater when my son was 2. He is now 44 and the sweater has been through all my grandchildren and keeps getting passed around to children that age range in our family. It still looks so nice and no stains or pilling. I have to say I was not very smart doing something that hard as my first project. It was a Mary Maxim pattern and I still have the pattern.

I used to knit hats for the hospital newborns for years.

I then crocheted afghans for all my children and grandchildren. Mostly Mary Maxim patterns with graphics and My son helped me do dirt bike graphs for all his sons. I crocheted 8 afghans for Christmas. I photograph them to remind me of what I have made over the years.
I hope to teach my daughter and granddaughter crocheting soon. It is a lost art that brings so many smiles to people's faces. That really is what it is all about as well as the joy of watching the projects get completed.

Please post your stories as I would love to read them.

Trusted Contributor

I love to crochet!  It is very relaxing for me.  My Grandma taught me the basics 50 years ago and in the past few years I have picked it up again.  I use You Tube videos to learn new stitches and just keep practicing.  I have made several hats, blankets and scarves.  It is easy to learn.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14  - that is absolutely beautiful - I love the edging!  I got a book from the library many years ago and taught myself how to crochet.   I've made many afghans, baby and full sized over the years, but now I do mostly smaller projects like dishcloths.  But this one has inspired me, so I may just give it a try!  Thanks!

Have to add since I took up quilting in the 80's, those are all my larger projects now.

Respected Contributor

@MKR14 .......such a beautiful pattern. I have been crocheting a few Chemo Caps for a friend who is going thru chemo right now. She has lost all of her hair, so keeping warm was a problem for her especially at night. I’m also crocheting a Beret cap in a Camouflage yarn by Red Heart. Here’s the tutorial for it. https://youtu.be/Xu3yBZ7TOVA I sure wish QVC would have Crafting shows again. I love crocheting. My mom passed away 5 years ago so I keep connected with her thou my crocheting. I learned from her and both my grandmas. We should start a Crochet thread and everyone could post their favorite sites and share. Thanks for posting. Beautiful work, it’s so rewarding when you see and give your gift away. 🙋🏻‍♀️❤️