Valued Contributor

Hello,

I have been interested in buying a Cricut for quite some time.

Does anyone have this model? If so, is this a good deal? 

I've also considered the Cricut Air.

I like to scrapbook and my daughter is a teacher, so I think it might be a good purchase.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you!

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Super Contributor

I have such mixed feelings about the Cricut Explore Air.  I purchased the machine in June with interest in the vinyl projects rather than scrapbooking.  Some projects turne out better than expected and others were a hopeless mess!

First, take the classes!  Unless you’ve used the machine before or have a knowledgeable friend, you need the classes!  I took the ones offered by Craftsy and found them reasonably priced and very informative,

The cost of the materials and accessories really adds up!  I have invested much more than I wanted to.  Working with the vinyl is expensive!  If you are primarily working with scrapbooking paper and card stock it might not be as cost prohibitive for you as it was for me.

As I said, I have the Explore Air.  It seems that there is much more that can be done with then Maker.  If I were buying again, iI think that’s the model I would buy.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought my daughter a Cricut Air 2 and she has made some beautuful things with it.

We went to Disney World with her family and she made us all T shirts to wear that we got lots of compliments on.

There are Facebook groups that help out with designs and you can get TONS of ideas from Pintrist...

The cheapest and best place to buy vinyl in from Vinyl World 651 especially when they run a sale. They ship out quickly too....

Honored Contributor

They make a quilters version that cuts the fabric.  I'm not sure if it's Cricut or another brand.

Every time I see I ask myself if I want to push the order button.

It would be a very expensive toy for me to sit in the sewing cabinet because I only make 1 or 2 quilts a year and they are usually very simple blocks of either squares or triangles.

I just hate the whole process of cutting up the fabric!