Honored Contributor

Credit Card Numbers Stolen - They Made a New Card

So, I received a text on my phone this morning from Wellsfargo telling me to contact them there was suspicious charges on my card.

After I looked on line I saw the problem.  I NEVER use the card and don't keep much money there, only around $500.  I have one automatic withdrawl come out every month and other than that I used it 2 times in the past 8 months and 1 or 2 after that.

Here's what I am positive happened.  I used the card at a gas station to get gas.  I also used it at a Panera sandwich place.  That was it.  I had to put in my pin number both times.  

When I went on line I found that someone had taken the information from the gas pump (gone into it) and actually made a plastic credit card.  So they had a fake card and my pin number.  They went to an ATM machine about 15 miles from my house and used it.  They withdrew $481 (which I thought was a weird amount).  Because I don't use it often I guess it caused an alert!

When I called back Wellsfargo I found out the first person I'd spoken to (even though they took all of my information) she didn't even file the information.  The second person told me that so I had to give him all of the information again.  I told him he would have a picture of the person withdrawing the amount from the ATM card at the bank. 

He said he wasn't going to pursue it because the use of manpower wasn't worth it and the band had already put the money back into my account and 'insuinated' why was I so upset'.  I told him I was sure others had had their card taken too (those who used that pump at the gas station) and (although I still other cards I could use) I was sure there were probably who only had a card that was copied.  (They are sending me a new one in 5  to 7 days!).  I told him the card never leaves my possession, I said, "As you can see I don't use it much".  He said, "Who else can use it.  I said, "No one".  

I called my daughter (who's name is on everything as a signer) and she said the banks don't do anything if the money is under $500 (that explains why they didn't take over $500, doesn't it.  

I'm surprised they were allowed to draw amount down to that low.  I've never been allowed to do that.  They couldn't order with it because they didn't have the number on the back, so they just sucked out the money!

I've read and saw on TV how these thieves can go inside of the gas pumps and put fake faces on them.  I always look for the seal and make sure it is unbroken.  I remember that I noticed it was broken but (like a fool) I ignored it and figured this was a popular station (on a major corner where I live) and it would be OK.  Boy!  Was I wrong!

So, I went to Walmart and bought some VISA Gift cards and put in $125 in each one.  THAT will be what I will use when I buy gas!

The Wellsfargo guy said, "You can take it up with your police department if you want to, it's up to you.  We consider this closed".  

So I will contact my police department and make them aware of what happened because there is no way I am the only person who used this pump.  

They must be a big time crook, to make up their own plastic card to use at an ATM!  Good grief   AND no one seems to care!  No wonder people rob and steal, no punishment at all.  So sad.

Honored Contributor

Re: Credit Card Numbers Stolen - They Made a New Card

Steal the number at the gas pump has happened about thirty miles from me.  I try to have cash, so I can pay for gas with cash.

Honored Contributor

We all pay for this, with higher interest rates. I'm sorry it happened to you. It sounds like it is a big time operation

Respected Contributor

I finally changed where I bought gas and now go to a place that has an attendant.  I usually pay with cash but when I need to use plastic I hand the card to the attendant.  I think I will never use a card reader that's out in the open again.  

Honored Contributor

I have had a card hacked twice. Once, like you, I told them I was almost positive I knew where it happened. The bank responded to me the same way they did to you - there's no simple way to pursue anyone and they would probably get the run-around from law enforcement if they tried, so case closed, that's it.

I know that the police dept in LA doesn't pursue burglaries or thefts under a certain amount, any sort of break-in to cars, or car theft. Their officers are spread thin with crime that involves danger to human life. With few exceptions (violence, etc) they will not come to your house to take a report - you have to go to the station and may sit around for hours until they get to you. The only time they respond to calls is if you tell them you fear for someone physically being injured or threatened with bodily harm, or a weapon is seen. If you call about noise at night, they will not come until they have logged three separate phone calls regarding the same noise, preferably from three different people, i.e. if it's just you they might still ignore it. There is no help any more unless there's a violent crime. I'm sure it's different in small towns, but the city ain't got time :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde I don't know about them responding.  I live in Northern Va.  I don't know if that's small but my guess is they won't do anything.  Maybe 1 year ago I had a huge water fountain (in the box) stolen off of my front porch.

That thing had sad there for months because I couldn't move it or find someone who could.  Finally a friend said she could move it that day.  Then she called and said she had an emergency and it would be the next day.

I got home and it was gone, box and all.  My friends said the box would have fallen apart if someone tried to carry it in the box.  There was no sign of it or the box anywhere, not even little pieces of the box!  It wouldn't have fit in a car and you'd have to have a big truck to carry it.

I thought my friend had put it up but she'd not been at my house.  I call UPS to make sure they didn't take it by mistake (even though there wasn't a sticker on it).  To this day I have no idea what happened to it. 

I called the police but they said they wouldn't bother looking for it, so someone now has a lot running water fountain somewhere in their yard.  Ugh! Thievery pays off people!

Occasional Contributor

Since ATM machines hold only 20 dollar bills, may I ask how they got $481 from the ATM?

Esteemed Contributor

Im sorry that happened to you. It happened near where my daugher lives too. Some guy stole info from gas pumps at mini markets, and they caught him on camera, and hes in jail.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Trusted Contributor

@ninam wrote:

Since ATM machines hold only 20 dollar bills, may I ask how they got $481 from the ATM?

While this is mosr common, some banks issue other bills.  My bank branch's ATM issues 20s, 10s, 5s, and 1s.

Esteemed Contributor

I use Chase cards.  They are on the ball and cover anything that happens.  They also stop the card and I am contacted if something does not look quite right no matter the amount being charged small or large.  Someone tried to charge a sandwich in San Salvador.. obviously they locked the card and notified me.  Someone tried to buy an airline ticket from NYC to Atlanta.  They stopped them at the gate.  

I don't use debit cards just credit and I don't  buy gas from places I am unfamiliar with.

Back a few years with a new card I used it only three times... once at a dry cleaner, then Amtrak and then an unknown out of the way gas station. Guess which one was the culprit.  A friend even had a waitress take the number off her card.  So it can happen to anyone.  I decided I would find the best company who was most watchful and it ended up to be Chase.