Trusted Contributor

Re: Cream Cheese Shortage, What’s Next

no issues with cream cheese here, I went twice, once for making cheeseball and one for cookies

Respected Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

I know.  I live in the Philadelphia area and I haven't seen cream cheese for several weeks.  Especially, the Philadelphia  brand.

I have to amend my post from yesterday.  I went shopping today and they had cream cheese, even the Philadelphia brand.  Not a big selection but enough.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lots of random shelves empty at the grocery stores I go in...yesterday, it was orange juice (none) and canned fruit, like fruit cocktail); and frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine....none at all of any brand. Have not found Starbucks ground decaf coffee on shelves for a couple of months in stores. Not even in our local Starbucks. None of these things can't be lived without so I choose not to freak out about it. Eventually something else will disappear and others will return. I am more concerned about the price hikes of things that ARE on the shelves. It is shocking. Eggs? $2.50 for a dozen store brand medium size? Eggbeaters $7.00. Not paying that.

Respected Contributor

I haven't looked for cream cheese lately, but before Thanksgiving I had to use Neufchatel. It was just for an appetizer and no one knew the difference.

Honored Contributor

Customers can begin making reservations to participate in the promotion on Friday

Kraft Will Pay You $20 to Not Make Cheesecake This Holiday Season | PEOPLE.com

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

it will only be 10000 the first day and 8000 the second day.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

I also saw this -

PITTSBURGH, PA — No cream cheese to make your holiday cheesecake this year? No problem for 18,000 lovers of the traditional Christmas dessert.

Due to a shortage of the product because of pandemic-related supply issues,

Pittsburgh-based Kraft Heinz has announced it will give that many people a $20 digital reward if they purchase a replacement dessert. The Spread the Feeling campaign will provide 10,000 reservations for the reimbursements on Friday and 8,000 more beginning at noon on Saturday.

To get the $20, those who get one of the spots will have to submit a store or restaurant receipt dated between Dec. 17 and Christmas Eve with a dessert or dessert ingredient.

"For the past 150 years, Philadelphia Cream Cheese has been a staple in American households, especially around the holidays," said Basak Oguz, the Philadelphia Cream Cheese marketing director, said in a statement.

"As we continue to see elevated and sustained demand, we want to ensure that there's enough cream cheese for bagels, cheesecakes, and everything in-between. We're excited to share that we're investing millions of dollars so Philadelphia cream cheese will be available to anyone that wants it, wherever they like to shop, for the next 150 years and beyond."

Trusted Contributor

Plenty of cream cheese - Philadelphia brand and otherwise - in Baltimore Md

Honored Contributor

Regarding the cream cheese shortage, I read that certain Wisconsin cheese makers who make the cream cheese have recently been hacked, thus contributing to the shortage. 

I have seen some blocks of Philly Cream Cheese in a local ShopRite, but the whipped cream cheese is showing some empty or slightly bare shelves.

For months my local supermarkets were out of store brand frozen diced green peppers -- great to have on hand for recipes. Shortly before Thanksgiving, a local supermarket had their brand back in stock again. I grabbed 3 bags to keep in our freezer. 

I was desperate & previous bought the store brand frozen sliced mixed colors peppers. I then took one bag & diced them all up & refroze them. 

I read that McCormick was having certain spices of their gourmet line because of a Covid related issue of the manufacturer that supplies their glass bottles to them. For all we know that manufacturer might have been told to make medical grade glass for the Covid vaccines.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I refuse to believe there isn’t some sort of spread New Yorkers could enjoy on a bagel. Butter? Nutella? Egg salad? Orange marmalade?

Not Nutella or marmalade. Egg salad is a lunch menu item, not really for breakfast here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼