Valued Contributor

Re: Craft I Have Rediscovered Since Lockdown

[ Edited ]

I learned to knit when I was 8...am 75 now.  I'm a lifelong avid knitter but have become addicted to knitting socks.  I order  handpainted yarn and the colors are stunning.  My son is the recipient of most of the socks so he's a happy camper.  I also knit and donate chemo caps and preemie caps. I knit scarves, hats, and mittens to donate. Knitting calms the soul. Happy Knitting.   docsgirl

Honored Contributor

@dulwich  I applaud the determination and effort and sense of humor coming this morning.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I've been wishing I had a hobby for the past year.  A couple of months ago I started thinking I would like a needlepoint pillow and that I could do the needlepoint part myself.  I did lots of cross stitching about 25 years ago.

I found a pattern of a 16 x 16 pillow that I loved and decided to start on a small project first.  This is the smaller 6 x 6 pattern that I'm doing first.  If the boo boos aren't too easy to spot I will frame it and then start the larger pillow.

This is the small pattern and the larger pillow.  The background of the pillow can be any color, and I haven't decided on that color yet.  This is going to be a long project.

F1C3D46D-93F5-4CC4-8363-E8360A04FC15.jpeg3C064205-68B5-40D9-982A-D0ECC207F276.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@dulwich wrote:

Knitting!  Well if you can call it that.  Here is list of my achievements :

1/2 a hat - dog ate yarn so still trying to tie it back into knittable strands.  DH comment will work good for someone with half a head.

Sweater - by mistake and due to unsurmountable stress here - knitted 2 backs - DH comment works  for someone  with either no neck or long neck.

Baby blankets x 2 beautifully done very successful.  DH comment great one - knew you could do it.

Lace shawl - think this is the way pattern should look - few larger than life Lacey 'holes' but on the whole looks o.k.  DH comment - blyme! - which can mean good or bad!

Multi colour cowl which I love.   DH nary a word from himself!

Present task striped, patterned sweater for me which I love now having fight to get sleeves inserted - still battling more to come....DH comment easier to order sweater from Q!

There you have it my lockdown entertainment - hit me Ladies with all your successes during this period.

Miserable fail with an *art* project I started before the pandemic hit.  Spent well over $2K dollars on supplies for it.  

Stared at it and started at it for about a month and then realized it was taking up my dining room table.  Packed it up nicely and put it away.  Till 2 weeks ago.

Brought it all out again and have been staring at it for days.  Don't know where to start.

Grandson (4 yo) came over on Wednesday.  Never saw this fiasco before.....showed me what to do with it.  I'm on a roll!

So now the saying is....through the eyes of babes.

@Lucky Charm 

You can't leave us hanging! Do tell us about your project. From reading your posts over the years I know you are an avid renovator/decorator.😍

Respected Contributor

Sounds like you made some lovely things. 

I didn't rediscover any crafts I wanted to learn new ones. I bought a calligraphy book looked at it put it away. I bought a macrame book looked at it put it away. I crochet and knit and that I have been doing. I made tons of hats and bear hoods for my dogs. I'm now on a kick of crocheting cactus girls and boys. Maybe one day I'll pick up the macrame and calligraphy books. 

Respected Contributor

@docsgirl wrote:

I learned to knit when I was 8...am 75 now.  I'm a lifelong avid knitter but have become addicted to knitting socks.  I order  handpainted yarn and the colors are stunning.  My son is the recipient of most of the socks so he's a happy camper.  I also knit and donate chemo caps and preemie caps. I knit scarves, hats, and mittens to donate. Knitting calms the soul. Happy Knitting.   docsgirl

About 5 years ago I said I would finally knit a a pair of socks. Still have not finished even one sock. Not even half a sock. I'm fascinated with them even though when I first started knitting I didn't understand the obsession so many had with sock knitting. One day maybe I'll finish one sock. 

Respected Contributor

I've stopped knitting as I got 2 Cavalier King Charles added to my home, LOL. Last month, I dug out my needles and started a wide long scarf. I usually use a larger sized needle but I thought I'd use a smaller one to make it more wind resistant. 

well... my 1 year old pup attacked my yarn when I had walked away. That took an hour to straighten that mess out. I've got close to 4 feet done but I think another 3 ft needed plus long fringe.

Hey kept me from EATING while being cooped up. Worth it even with my tendinitis. It's a good thing 

Honored Contributor

@dulwich ---OMG---you gave me such a belly laugh with you and DH comments--just hilarious----knitting is not my thing but my late mother could knit like no one's business--she made my Barbie doll clothes out of wool yarn even sweaters for Ken using a faire isle pattern on them!!!!! Still have them too--am 66 now. My DD knits aminzingly too--learned from Youtube-- 

Respected Contributor

@Mustang Shar.  I have rescue, very tall,  89 lbs Greyhound who thinks my knitting is her prey!   Have to hide it under cushions if I leave room - I, too have large tangled mess still to be sorted out!  Ah well, I love her more than yarn!

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich - loved your post. It gave me a chuckle today.

I have been so busy quilting this past year. Those WIPs seem to grow in those storage boxes, lol. Managed to finish several that I started quite some time ago - yeah!

Then I made/finished each of my granddaughters their birthday quilts. Plus a QQ (quarantine quilt) done in red/white for my daughter.

Also, made/finished a couple of holiday wall hangings/lap quilts for ME!

Now I have a couple of scrap quilts to work on as time allows.

And, I can't believe I am once again making birthday quilts for my granddaughters - has it really been that long since I've seen them? Yes, December 2019 was the last time.