Respected Contributor
Can anyone recommend a good, non-leaking, roomy, covered box? I will be getting a new kitten soon and because I have a dog, I'd like to go with a covered box this time around. Thanks!
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Covered boxes aren't recommended for cats. They generally don't like them because they are basically trapped with only one way in and out. We have a gated area that the dogs can't get into where the litter boxes are.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

Clever cat litter box.

Super Contributor

Hey PurpleBunny!

How exciting -- a new kitten coming to your home!

There are lots of covered litter boxes to choose from and I'm sure you'll find one that you like.

Just a heads up about cat litter:

Be sure to use a non-clumping litter while your kitten is young. Clumping litter has sodium bentonite in it and that is the stuff that makes the litter into those hard clumps. Clumping cat litter is not recommended for kittens as they sometimes eat cat litter and clumping litter can be deadly if ingested.

Enjoy your new kitten. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I always used covered boxes and never had any issues with them. I scoop twice a day and once a week clean the entire thing and theres no odor in the box and my girl has always liked her privacy,lol. I believe the name is Whisker City.We have always gotten them at petsmart. They aren't cheap,maybe $30 or a bit more but they have a filter and the hood lifts up for scooping. Its great box,we tried them all.The one above is a nice box too but my boy at the time he was with us was a big cat and it was hard for him to get comfy to go.The Whisker City was perfect.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Honored Contributor
On 12/23/2014 thisbe said:

Clever cat litter box.

This is the box we have ...... and our little Bogart started using this at 3 months.

For background, we also have a dog, and he was always "stealing" the clumps of kitty poop because it's higher in protein! How gross is THAT!

Anyway, we got this box and for the first 3 days had it out without the lid .... to let him get used to the tall walls of the box ..... I had it next to a small chest with a thick towel on it so he could jump on the chest, and then jump in and out of the litter box.

Then, after 3 days, I put the lid on and he now jumps right onto the lid and lowers himself into the box. Works GREAT! ..... What I also like is that when he jumps out onto the lid, any litter that stuck to his paws falls off and collects on the lid, instead of the floor around it. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

One thing I think is funny and not sure if this is Bogey's idiosyncrasy or what all cats do ....... in the front left corner he does all his # 1s ..... and in the rear right corner, he does all his # 2s! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I've tried several litters now, having struck up conversations with people (for recommendations) in the cat litter aisles in stores ..... and found one that is small granules and it's 50% crystals and 50% clay. I like the tiny granules best, and also recommend you stay away from the clumping litters.

OP, If you can, post a picture of your new baby when you get him! {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

I have a couple cats that prefer separate boxes for 1's and 2's. Sounds like that is what your cat is indicating with the separate areas of the box.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
On 12/24/2014 jaxs mom said:

I have a couple cats that prefer separate boxes for 1's and 2's. Sounds like that is what your cat is indicating with the separate areas of the box.

LOL !!!

Respected Contributor
Thank you very much for your replies. I've been analyzing every box on the market and my head is spinning. I appreciate your personal experience. It's been about five years since I've had a cat and I feel like a nervous new mother! My kitten is a Ragdoll so he will probably be large. He's just about 12 weeks and he's already a monster. I get him in a few days and I feel sooooooo unprepared!!!!
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor
On 12/23/2014 beauty junkie said:

I always used covered boxes and never had any issues with them. I scoop twice a day and once a week clean the entire thing and theres no odor in the box and my girl has always liked her privacy,lol. I believe the name is Whisker City.We have always gotten them at petsmart. They aren't cheap,maybe $30 or a bit more but they have a filter and the hood lifts up for scooping. Its great box,we tried them all.The one above is a nice box too but my boy at the time he was with us was a big cat and it was hard for him to get comfy to go.The Whisker City was perfect.

Funny that you should mention Whisker City, in my research I actually came across a recall notice for the XL size due to a faulty door on some. I believe they are the Petsmart in-house brand. If you are having any issues, you can get a replacement.
( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )