Esteemed Contributor

Could Someone Please Tell Me

Why the Hosts are not allowed to say Summer Olympics...Pat just stumbled her way trying to tell us why she was up so late watching...then she stopped and said we are not allowed to say the word....why...

They are sending GILI Jill there for a show Monday night on the Q...this doesn't make sense to me....what does it hurt...it seems so foolish.....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Could Someone Please Tell Me

It's probably patented and copyrighted, and therefore, if the hosts were to say "Summer Olympics" they would owe the IOC $.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

It's probably patented and copyrighted, and therefore, if the hosts were to say "Summer Olympics" they would owe the IOC $.

True, any business must have official written permission to say it.  Just like businesses cannot say "Super Bowl" without permission from the NFL.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Or maybe owe NBC Universal since only their affiliated channels are allowed to air Olympic events?

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Or maybe owe NBC Universal since only their affiliated channels are allowed to air Olympic events?

Actually no.  The IOC forms a host city (Brazil, in this case) Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games (OCOG).  That written permission would come from that committee. 

Honored Contributor

She said she couldn't say it, then she said it.  It made no sense.

Honored Contributor

On the QVC home page there's a section that says Team USA and Olympic Collection.  

So, I'm guessing there will be at least a brief presentation at some point .... but they can't say "Olympics"?      How odd.

Honored Contributor

QVC hosts can't say it because people will remember that it is on and change the channel.

You can't keep people from saying it, you keep from from using it in a logo, as a promotional tool, in a design or on a product.  

People can say it all they want.  You can't use it as a graphic or a tool to make money.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for all the replies....but it still doesn't make sense to me...I guess i am too dumb to understand...I did hear Jacquie say it during her D&co show a little while ago...not sure if it was the slip of the tongue...or she thinks it stupid, too...hahaha....

Trusted Contributor

@circles wrote:

Why the Hosts are not allowed to say Summer Olympics...Pat just stumbled her way trying to tell us why she was up so late watching...then she stopped and said we are not allowed to say the word....why...

They are sending GILI Jill there for a show Monday night on the Q...this doesn't make sense to me....what does it hurt...it seems so foolish.....

Because they are not an Olympic sponsor.

http://msm2016.com/2016/03/02/when-is-it-not-ok-to-reference-the-olympics-in-advertising-hint-most-o...