Respected Contributor

Costco - Free Membership - ever???

I need to buy something at Costco. Do they ever have a free memberships? I already looked online but what I want requires a membership. Sometimes you can buy stuff on Costco.com without a membership, but this particular item requires a membership. BTW, the item I want is a Nest doorbell that comes with a Google mini.
"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Costco - Free Membership - ever???

I’ve never seen it and I’ve been a member for a looong time. I’ve heard of a non member up charge but have never seen or experienced it, so not even sure that exists. 

Frankly as a paying member I wouldn’t be too happy if someone got a totally free membership 

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina  I read somewhere that if you have a Costco gift card, you can purchase items (with a surcharge) from Costco without a membership.  Also I heard that you can get prescriptions filled without a membership.

However, there is a surcharge, not sure what, but probably 10%. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

No, they don't offer any kind of free membership.

Respected Contributor

A good many years ago, Costco offered free passes, but no more.  If you know someone with a membership, perhaps they could buy a Costco gift card.  Buy what you want, but if it's on sale, you won't get the sale price.  I think you may be able to purchase a gift card yourself, but I'm not positive.  Check Costco on line for their phone number, call and ask.   If we were neighbors, I'd purchase it for you.

Honored Contributor

I think you can use the pharmacy without a membership and I have heard at Costco.com you can purchase some items.  I was just there today turning a $300+ rebate check into a gift card.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The pharmacy does not require a membership by federal law. They cannot restrict access to prescription drugs by forcing membership purchase. So you can do business with their pharmacy with no affiliation to Costco from you.

Those Costco locations with an optometry section allow you to purchase glasses and get an eye exam without having a Costco membership. The optometrists are outside contractors paying Costco to do business on the premises. Though they ask for your Costco card when you place an order for prescription optometry products, they will sell them no matter what. 

In every other relationship to Costco within the stores, you must have membership. Online, some items are members only, as you have discovered.  Find a friend with a membership to order for you. You probably already know more than one friend/family with a card. Ask around. 

Esteemed Contributor

I doubt Costco will ever offer free membership. My cousin isn’t a member. I take her shopping there a couple of times a year.Do you know anybody who could buy it for you?

Honored Contributor

You can sometimes go to the front service desk and ask for a pass to shop if you are considering purchasing a membership. Not sure how much or if you can buy anything you want doing this... it I can tell you the cost of a membership quickly pays for itself with the low prices they have.
Honored Contributor

Ask your friends and family to take you if they have a membership.

Our whole family does and I, too, would be p.o.'d if someone could get a freebie when we all paid for ours.

I had a friend I'd take to our Costco to pick up a couple of things. Ask around.