Honored Contributor

Cop Finds/Comforts Missing Autistic Man

[ Edited ]

A 'feel good' story for a change!Heart

"A heartwarming photo showing a California police officer hugging an autistic man who had been reported missing has gone viral.

Justin Thompson, a City of Rohnert police officer, found 31-year-old Lance Grumley after his mother reported him missing Wednesday morning. 

Thompson, who is a 20 year veteran of the force, found Grumley in Copeland Creek, a wooded area with walk paths. 

Lance Grumley, 31, hugs police officer Thompson after he was safely found on Wednesday

Lance Grumley, 31, hugs police officer Thompson after he was safely found on Wednesday 

While searching for Grumley, the quick thinking officer extended his search to University Square and the nearby creek, as he was familiar with Grumley and the areas he frequently visited.

Grumley's mother Dina say that she and her son were preparing to go out for the day, when he decided to pop into their garage.

But when Dina checked after a couple of minutes, her son was nowhere to be found.

The worried mom immediately called Rohnert Park Police to say her son had wandered off, still in his slippers.

'When a call comes in like that, it turns into all hands on deck,' said Rohnert Park Police Chief Tim Mattos. 'That was a serious call. We wanted to make sure he was found.'  

Grumley was located within ten minutes of being reported missing and is seen in the photo wearing slippers and socks while hugging Officer Thompson, who had removed his helmet and gloves before the candid moment was caught on camera.

On Facebook, Grumley's grateful mother shared the photo with the caption: 'Thank you Rohnert park police department!! You found Lance faster than I did! Thank you for making him feel comfortable and safe.'

Another post on the worried mother's Facebook page shows a picture of her son with the words 'GPS for the runaway!!!'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cop Finds/Comforts Missing Autistic Man

So glad this story had a good outcome.

Honored Contributor

Our police need to be commended for these acts of compassion ....so many of them get no recognition and we need to see more of these. So happy Lance was found safe and sound.
Respected Contributor

Kudos to Officer Justin Thompson!

Honored Contributor

Priceless photo!! 

Warms my heart ❤️ 

Honored Contributor

Most police officers are great and caring people.Thats why they chose the career to serve and protect.The problem starts when the officers are in a dangerous situation and have a fear for their own lives.We see the aftermath of that and judge in hindsight but we never know how we would have reacted in a situation where we feared fot our own safety.I know it isn’t easy doing a job night after night wondering who you will encounter and what is their state of being.My dh was a police officer when he was young and

experienced a few dangerous situations during those years.He was always able to get control without force but by the time he got home from a shift he was not easy to be around.Thankfully he switched careers and I think that saved our marriage.

I like to see people recognizing the good things these men and women do for the community.We don’t spend much time investigating that.

Honored Contributor

Thanks Officer Thompson for finding this very lost young man. Your kindness and compassion was so wonderful to see and read about

Respected Contributor

❤️👍