Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking....Am I the Only One?

@Bridgegal OMG!  That is me except I'm a widow!  I stopped cooking a few years ago.  For me it just doesn't make much sense.  There's just me.

I eat one large meal a day (usually around 1:00).  In the morning I might eat toast or an egg.  In the evening I eat something very light.

My friend (another widow) and I eat together (at a nice restaurant, usually) at least 4 times a week.  

About 3 months ago I made some vegetable soup.  It was wonderful and I froze many single servings of it.  I also like my spaghetti sauce best.  I sometimes make a big batch of it and freeze single servings.  

When I get a craving for MY food I used to make I get it out of the freezer.

I don't think young people cook like we used to.  I'm talking about people in their 20's and 30's.  

There are a lot of people who are retired (married and widowed).  It just doesn't make sense to make big meals for one or two people, my opinion.

Just letting you know you aren't the only one.  I do have a friend (married couple) and they cook lots of things for each other.  Most of the people, though, my age (70) don't cook much anymore.

Just not worth it.

Honored Contributor

I sure can relate to this,last week i fixed a soup,made it many times and this time it was not as good.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yep, they were in it too.  Thanks.  It's a mystery.  Tomato paste that is.

Respected Contributor

Well, I didn't feel like getting up, but the seasoning mix I use is SOOOOOOO delicious that I made myself walk into the kitchen to get it - to make SURE I got the name exactly right!

OK, it's McCormick Beef Stew seasoning mix.  It's in a packet (1.5 oz.) and has no MSG or artificial flavors.  I use it to make pot roast.  I brown the meat on the stove, then add 2 or 3 cups of water and the McCormick mix.  Mix it well, then simmer it in the oven for 3 hours.  To thicken the broth when done, take the meat out and add a little flour and mix well with a wisk.  Simmer for 2-3 minutes, just to cook the flour.

Oh my!  It is absolutely delicious!  Hubby and I both love it.  I also stir about 1/2 of the mix into (homemade) gravy for meat loaf.  Actually, you could use it for any cut of beef.

I've been buying this mix for years and it never disappoints.  Just wanted to pass this "gem" on to you. Smiley Very Happy

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Esteemed Contributor

Every now and again it happens.

I personally like preparing and cooking for just him, and me - while I'm at it, I can make extra and have a meal at the ready, always.  Or I can chop stuff for later - again, always ready for a meal.

I make DH's lunch every day for work.  Sometimes just not doing it revives my "chops" (I think I have not done his lunch about three times in 19 years - but knowing it is an option seems freeing).

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I think our taste buds do change as we age.  I notice some things I used to love don't taste so great anymore.  I'm even blah about chocolate. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

At around age 60, our sense of smell begins to decrease and our taste buds aren't as sharp.

That could be what you are experiencing.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

At around age 60, our sense of smell begins to decrease and our taste buds aren't as sharp.

That could be what you are experiencing.

That's good to know, I guess.   Smiley Wink       Maybe that is what is going on.    

@     @spent2much:   Thanks for the tip.  If/when I decide to try it again, I'll    use that for sure.   

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal

I also think it has to do with today's ingredients.....the cuts and quality of meat aren't as good..(and according to what Ive read in cookbooks, shows, and magazines, the cut of meat is the most important element in stews/soups)..unless you grow your own vegtables or go to a Farmer's market, the produce doesnt seem to have any taste....Even the seasonings---the salt isnt as salty tasting (and did you cut down on salt for health reasons in the recipe---that makes a big differences--I get a kick on Chopped on the Food Network, where the judges complain about a simple thing like "it needed more salt")....some of the spices arent as good--(I prefer McCormick, the so called high end brands just didnt deliver on flavor)..........So dont beat yourself up....it may NOT be you the cook!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I made beef stew this past week and decided it was the best I'd ever made.  I made it in the pressure cooker and that just seems to infuse it with more flavor.  I used boxed beef broth and that helped too.  I'm a little tired of it after four consecutive meals and it's not gone yet. 

@Kachina624

I totally understand your problem, unless I invite my sis, brother or friends over, or deliver some servings to them at their homes, I hate it when I have tons of food left.......I get tired of eating the same stuff over and over...and yes I can freeze it, but then that food just doesnt appeal to me anymore...LOL!!!    So I make simple recipes--that only have one or two servings.....or purchase prepared food the chefs at the grocery store make--- which is quite good---chicken pecan, chilpote meatloaf, a small roast for two, a fish dish, casseroles etc.....these are freshly made so no preservatives etc...like packaged food....I do the side dishes---vegtables, maybe a salad, or potatoes or rice........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”