Respected Contributor

Cooking....Am I the Only One?

This was the last straw.  Yesterday I made a beef stew that I've made a 100 times.  

It had NO taste at all.   My husband will eat anything and has only asked me once in 25 years not to make something again.   He was very polite but basically said it was bad.   I agreed 100%.   In fact, I didn't even finish the bowl.  

Later last night I added beef broth to it and cooked it some more.   We're going to give it another go tonight but it smells just the same as yesterday.  

I told DH that I was basically done with cooking.   I'm a good cook and have been cooking for 50 years so I know what I'm doing.   I cannot figure out why the stew was so tasteless and bad.  

From now on, unless I have a craving for something, I'm basically buying food that you heat and eat or make salads or have lots of finger food in the fridge.  No more chopping, dicing, cooking only to get tasteless food. 

Is anyone else on board for this?  Want to join me?   

Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking....Am I the Only One?

@Bridgegal sometimes it's just due to a bad cut of meat.  I occasionally succumb to flops...it happens...go easy on yourself!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I've never been much of a cook. I CAN cook, but I just don't enjoy it. 

I got married when when I was 35 and married a firefighter who was gone every 3rd day so I didn't get much practice cooking and really didn't have the desire. 

Now that I no longer work and my husband is retired, we go out to eat quite a bit. Like most days. We go out for lunch and then my husband eats a sandwich or something for dinner. 

If we do eat at home, it's usually a rotisserie chicken from Publix or a Hormel pork roast, which is easy to make. Or a vegetable lunch. Really nothing more complicated than that.  We eat our main meal at lunch. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I made beef stew this past week and decided it was the best I'd ever made.  I made it in the pressure cooker and that just seems to infuse it with more flavor.  I used boxed beef broth and that helped too.  I'm a little tired of it after four consecutive meals and it's not gone yet. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Try some red wine in your beef stew.  My husband can tell when I forget.  I also use liptons onion soup mix (the dry).  We would all like to give up, but it doesn't work for long.  I am sure most of what you make is delicious.  You are entitled to a miss or two.

Regular Contributor

LOL, we've been married 53 years so I feel like I've been cooking forever.  Everyone thinks I am a good cook but like you, I've made some things lately that I want to throw in the trash!  I've made this recipe forever and all of a sudden it doesn't taste the same at all!  What the heck happened.  I don't need recipes because after making the same dish over and over you can do it in your sleep but now it looks and tastes different.  Can't figure it out so maybe we'll start doing the heat and eat food options!

Honored Contributor

When my allergies are acting up (hay fever), I can't taste a thing..........maybe it wasn't the stew's fault (?)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@m0rgan wrote:

Try some red wine in your beef stew.  My husband can tell when I forget.  I also use liptons onion soup mix (the dry).  We would all like to give up, but it doesn't work for long.  I am sure most of what you make is delicious.  You are entitled to a miss or two.

I did have red wine in it.   The soup mix is a good idea.  If I were ever making it again, I'd add it.    Smiley Wink

This wasn't the only thing that didn't turn out like usual either.  It's been happening a lot lately.  DH and I wonder if our taste buds are 'pooping' out in our old age.  

Honored Contributor

Tomatoes and/or tomato (or V8) juice also work as a meat tenderizer if you add it to your stew......

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

It might be the meat, or you might just need a break from cooking. Give yourself a break for awhile.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan