Respected Contributor

Re: Conversations with loved one about Fentanyl laced pills

[ Edited ]

DEA.gov

August 30, 2022

The DEA is advising the public of an alarming emerging trend of colorful fentanyl available across the United States.  In August 2022, DEA and our law enforcement partners seized brightly-colored fentanyl and fentanyl pills in 18 states. 

Dubbed “rainbow fentanyl” in the media, this trend appears to be a new method used by drug cartels to sell highly addictive and potentially deadly fentanyl made to look like candy to children and young people.

“Rainbow fentanyl—fentanyl pills and powder that come in a variety of bright colors, shapes, and sizes—is a deliberate effort by drug traffickers to drive addiction amongst kids and young adults,” said DEA Administrator Anne Milgram.  “The men and women of the DEA are relentlessly working to stop the trafficking of rainbow fentanyl and defeat the Mexican drug cartels that are responsible for the vast majority of the fentanyl that is being trafficked in the United States.”

Drug agents warn about deadly 'rainbow fentanyl' pills made to look like  candy

Rainbow fentanyl' found in several states across the country – drugs  resemble candy and 'seem to be marketed specifically to a younger age  group' - NewsPlusLife

Multnomah County officials found a new colorful form of fentanyl | KATU

Brightly-colored fentanyl is being seized in multiple forms, including pills, powder, and blocks that resembles sidewalk chalk.

Despite claims that certain colors may be more potent than others, there is no indication through DEA’s laboratory testing that this is the case.  Every color, shape, and size of fentanyl should be considered extremely dangerous.

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid that is 50 times more potent than heroin and 100 times more potent than morphine.  Just two milligrams of fentanyl, which is equal to 10-15 grains of table salt, is considered a lethal dose.  Without laboratory testing, there is no way to know how much fentanyl is concentrated in a pill or powder. 

Fentanyl remains the deadliest drug threat facing this country. 

According to the CDC, 107,622 Americans died of drug overdoses in 2021, with 66 percent of those deaths related to synthetic opioids like fentanyl.  Drug poisonings are the leading killer of Americans between the ages of 18 and 45.  

Fentanyl available in the United States is primarily supplied by two criminal drug networks, the Sinaloa Cartel and the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG).

In September 2021, DEA launched the One Pill Can Kill Public Awareness Campaign to educate Americans about the dangers of fake pills.  Additional resources for parents and the community can be found on DEA's Fentanyl Awareness page.

If you encounter fentanyl in any form, do not handle it and call 911 immediately.

Honored Contributor

Re: Conversations with loved one abt Fentanyl laced pills

That is such important iinformation to pass along, @MorningLover ,  good job!

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
@CelticCrafter- Fentanyl has been used in medicine for many years & is quite effective and safe when purchased legally in a pharmacy & ordered by a physician. Many with chronic pain wear fentanyl patches and if you’ve had a colonoscopy, there is a good chance you were given fentanyl. It’s safe when administered by a qualified anesthesiologist & quite good for that purpose.

It’s the non medical grade fentanyl coming into the country that is lethal & causing deaths.

@Stray I understand that they are two different strenghts(?) but as I said and it's only my opinion, I think it's only a matter of time. 

I'm sure I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, it's just my feeling.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Stray wrote:
@CelticCrafter- Fentanyl has been used in medicine for many years & is quite effective and safe when purchased legally in a pharmacy & ordered by a physician. Many with chronic pain wear fentanyl patches and if you’ve had a colonoscopy, there is a good chance you were given fentanyl. It’s safe when administered by a qualified anesthesiologist & quite good for that purpose.

It’s the non medical grade fentanyl coming into the country that is lethal & causing deaths.

@Stray I understand that they are two different strenghts(?) but as I said and it's only my opinion, I think it's only a matter of time. 

I'm sure I'm wrong, I hope I'm wrong, it's just my feeling.

@CelticCrafter I hope you are wrong too.  But, having worked in medicine for 50 yrs, meds are highly controlled and only purchased from reliable sources.  I'm not an expert in illegal fentanyl but I imagine the quality, dose and method of production are quite different.  They may be prepared in someone's garage or basement and no controls at all. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

Exactly. It has its place when constituted, distributed, used and monitored as intended. Otherwise, that's why they call it drug 'abuse'.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

There's a specific reason for the urgency of the new DHS advisory and warnings from other authorities.  The illicitly manufactured fentanyl crisis has been with us since at least 2014, true.   But a combo of certain factors have made it even more crucial to penetrate the lack of awareness of the public.

1)  Because of its incredible potency,  just ONE ingestion of illicitly manufactured fentanyl can result in death.  This is not "scared straight" hyperbole, it's simple fact, and it's happening, frequently.

2)  Then, combined with the lethality of imf,  is the fact that cartels have upped their production, and are flooding it across a porous border.   Because it is often combined or disguised, unwary buyers literally do not know what they are getting.

To bring it down to just a single state (but it's happening everywhere), the Wisconsin Department of Health Services has released its own grim stats.  

DHS data shows that just last year, synthetic opioids, primarily fentanyl, were identified in 91 percent of opioid overdose deaths in Wisconsin, and in 73 percent of all overdose deaths. From 2019 to 2021, the number of fentanyl overdose deaths in the state grew by 97 percent.

Illegally produced fentanyl overdose deaths have grown in Wisconsin by 97%--  in just 3 years.

There can't be enough dispersion of these specific factors contributing to the need for the DHS advisory on illicitly manufactured fentanyl.   It is wreaking deadly havoc on young people and others. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

@chrystaltree 

I was at the grocery store with my 3 1/2 yr old Grandson . When I got him out of the car he spotted multi colored items scattered around the parking lot . He was attracted  to them since they looked like Fruit Loops cereal . I told him firmly to Never pick up anything  that looked like that .

I just assumed they were fruit loops cereal , but I did not walk closer to check . They say fentanyl can be deadly by just touching it.

I'm 100% certain that fentanyl whether it's the illegal street drug type or the medicinal type does not look like Froot Loops.  But children should be taught to never pickup anything on the ground.  You have to watch them like a hawk.

Honored Contributor

It's not just children. Talk to your parents and other adults too.

I found out my mother ordered supplement pills from a Facebook ad. It was news to her that anyone can purchase a FB ad and empty capsules from Amazon and place anything they want in it. She had no idea what she was really taking.

If you know of anyone taking supplements or weight loss pills or anything like that, it's worth a mention to make sure they are getting them from a reputable source.

Supplements are not regulated by the FDA but there are some trusted brands out there. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We also need to understand the reasons why people use drugs and acknowledge that flooding the marketplace is only one reason why addiction has increased.  The growth also highlights the need for treatment that is readily available and rooted in medical science.  

I am concerned about a star quarterback and a an HGTV host discussing their use of psychedelic and the impact that will have. Now, researhers are working to create them for "psychedelic therapy."  This type of reseach was begun in earnest in the early 1960s. Remember Dr. Timothy Leary?

Respected Contributor

Jan. 30, 2023

APACHE JUNCTION, Ariz. — A 3-year-old boy has died after he allegedly ingested a pill containing fentanyl, police said. 

Police said the criminal investigation is ongoing.

"Fentanyl is impacting every community and innocent victims are being killed by this poison," Apache Junction Police Chief Michael Pooley said.

"We need everyone to help us protect our children. This tragedy is devastating to our community."