Respected Contributor

Re: Conversations with loved one abt Fentanyl laced pills

PublishedJan. 30, 2023

Akron 2-year-old dies of fentanyl overdose, officials say

AKRON, Ohio (WOIO) - The October death of a two-year-old Akron girl has now been ruled a homicide by the Summit County Medical Examiner.

Valentina Lenoir was found unresponsive in a home on Oct. 27, 2022.

Akron paramedics transported the little girl to Akron Children’s Hospital where she was pronounced dead later that day.

The Summit County Medical Examiner ruled late last week her cause of death was fentanyl toxicity and the manner of death was homicide.

19 News has reached out Akron police to see if there are any suspects in the child’s death.

This is a developing story. Return to 19 News for updates.

Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, drugs are everywhere in our country. I had this talk with my kids when were in middle school. They have never said they tried anything in high school or college - I'm hoping they didn't. Now, they have children of their own and I feel sorry for all the things they have to warn them about.

If you want to watch an eye-opening show about the production of drugs and where, and all other illegal things, tune in to Traffiked on Nat Geo. Mariana van Zeller is the journalist/correspondent for Nat Geo. She does an excellent job of bringing out how the illegal market works.

Season 3 is showing now but I believe you can watch the other seasons On Demand. Wednesday, 9:00 Nat Geo channel - ET

Valued Contributor

I didn't need to have this conversation with my son.  My 40 year old nephew died of an overdose.  I am closer in age to my nephew than I am to his mom/my sibling.  My son saw how it tore my heart.  

Respected Contributor

@DrakesMomma OMG your family paid a high price for that "lesson."  So sorry to hear this.

Honestly, I just don't understand why ANYONE would take pills that didn't come out of a legitimate drugstore or pharmacy bottle.  What are they thinking??  Don't they read the news?  As if covid isn't enough, we have this opoid epidemic.  Shame, shame on those in the US and Mexico who manufacture this poison.

Valued Contributor

@Another new name Sue -  Thank you.  My nephew ODd the day he got out of rehab.  He was there for 11 months.  I thought he had it this time.  He was on his way to being healthy mentally and physically.  

Respected Contributor

riley1 wrote:

Unfortunately, drugs are everywhere in our country. I had this talk with my kids when were in middle school. They have never said they tried anything in high school or college - I'm hoping they didn't. Now, they have children of their own and I feel sorry for all the things they have to warn them about.

If you want to watch an eye-opening show about the production of drugs and where, and all other illegal things, tune in to -

Trafficked on Nat Geo. Mariana van Zeller is the journalist/correspondent for Nat Geo.

She does an excellent job of bringing out how the illegal market works.

Season 3 is showing now but I believe you can watch the other seasons On Demand. Wednesday, 9:00 Nat Geo channel - ET

Thank You @riley1 for mentioning. I've never seen this program because I don't have those channels.

I did an online search for..

National Geographic 

Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller

*Seasons 1 and 2 are free to watch online.

Watch Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller Streaming Online | Hulu (Free  Trial)

I'm watching Season 1 - Episode 2  Fentanyl

Wow, this is very informative and eye-opening, seeing what goes on 'behind the scenes'.  A must watch !

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/tv/shows/trafficked-with-mariana-van-zeller/episode-guide/season-...

Watch Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller season 1 episode 2 streaming  online | BetaSeries.com

Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover - It is hard to watch for sure. I don't know how she gets to these areas or the people she interviews but it is scary. 

She really does an excellent job but I sure hope she has some form of security with her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

With such an increase in the amount of black market pills  circulating in the US along with dramatic rise in deaths of people / children from Fentanyl pills , how many on these boards are being proactive in talking to their children/ grandchildren  about not using any illegal drugs .

@skatting44 

I don't have an under the legal age audience to talk with about, legal or illegal drugs. 

What I can do is let it be known to my Representatives, that are in positions to help at least to slow, the amount of these illegal drugs getting into our country. 

It is well known to those that follow these issues the sources of the ingredients. It is also known where these ingredients are manufactured into pills, and other forms, even edibles.

I heard the number 300 die each day from drugs, many which are not from the typical OD. There is very little that I have heard from the ones in high positions, about the deadly nature of Fentanyl. Why?

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

With such an increase in the amount of black market pills  circulating in the US along with dramatic rise in deaths of people / children from Fentanyl pills , how many on these boards are being proactive in talking to their children/ grandchildren  about not using any illegal drugs .

@skatting44 

I don't have an under the legal age audience to talk with about, legal or illegal drugs. 

What I can do is let it be known to my Representatives, that are in positions to help at least to slow, the amount of these illegal drugs getting into our country. 

It is well known to those that follow these issues the sources of the ingredients. It is also known where these ingredients are manufactured into pills, and other forms, even edibles.

I heard the number 300 die each day from drugs, many which are not from the typical OD. There is very little that I have heard from the ones in high positions, about the deadly nature of Fentanyl. Why?

hckynut 🇺🇸

Why? Because they would have to be held accountable for what is hapoening in our country. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:
@CelticCrafter- Fentanyl has been used in medicine for many years & is quite effective and safe when purchased legally in a pharmacy & ordered by a physician. Many with chronic pain wear fentanyl patches and if you’ve had a colonoscopy, there is a good chance you were given fentanyl. It’s safe when administered by a qualified anesthesiologist & quite good for that purpose.

It’s the non medical grade fentanyl coming into the country that is lethal & causing deaths.

@Stray 

Thank you for the explanation.  

I've always wondered why any illegal drug maker would use something in their pills that would easily kill someone.  I would think these would be "fly under the radar" people.  Kinda makes your arrest a top priority, doesn't it?