Respected Contributor

The shortage of workers continues despite the fact many unemployment benefits have expired particularly in my state. Vice-President Harris posted on Twitter that millions of women left the workforce and are not returning which could slow our economic recovery.

The pandemic changed the workplace forever. People were laid off by companies large and small. During that time women were at home with their children and many realized how little their job was contributing to the bottom line of their family's finances. Eliminating outside childcare showed a lot of workers they were just as valuable monetarily by staying home not to mention the immense value of being a full-time mom. This not only affects low-paying jobs but has also affected professionals with careers in major companies. It has impacted the workforce at every level of employment.

Honored Contributor

Re: Continued Worker Shortage

AGREED---

Low wages are a huge thing---everyone deserves a living wage to be able to raise their kids, have a home and not worry about being able to afford  health care/education/food ----in all levels of employment ----when I heard that Taco Time was raising their wages for their workers, at first I was shocked but the more I thought about it---good on them-----when I quit my job in 2009--I still was not making $15 an hour. It was a retail job and had been there for 12 years---my raises were 25 cents an hour per each YEAR-----had a spouse that made good $$ so it wasn't a real hardship but it could have been----this pandemic has really made a gigantic impact on every aspect of our lives--mostly for the bad but hopefully, something good will come from it---can only hope, right????

Esteemed Contributor

Raising wages for many business is simply not an option.  Many run on very low margins and higher wages will only lead to higher prices.  Continued inflation will bring many back into the job market to help pay expenses.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

What is the thinking about not enough truck drivers, on the road  ,that is one reason given for lack of items in the market place ,and dock workers also,where did the workers go to?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I believe it will continue to get worse. Praying for changes next year, hopefully it won't be too late. 

Honored Contributor

@On It   The dislocation of workers is showing the many issues involved in solving the problems.  There was a time I thought there would be a big change as the federal support system ended, but the more I have read, the more I understood better what we are up against.

I had started to think that end wouldn't end the lack of workers working, but I had no real info to back my thinking until the details began to come in from the states where that subsidy ended and still, they were unable to see workers returning any more than the states that had never used the federal subsidy.

So if taking money away from the potential workers doesn't bring them back, what will work?  What will that cost -  what changes in life style, what changes in where people live, what money should go where???  

Why are problems so easy to identify, but so difficult to find their solutions?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

What is the thinking about not enough truck drivers, on the road  ,that is one reason given for lack of items in the market place ,and dock workers also,where did the workers go to?

@goldensrbest 

Many truckers retired during the slowdown.  I forget what the average age for long distance truckers is, but it's in the average retirement age area.  And young people don't want to get into that profession.  Also, it does take training beforehand, so it's not like just anybody can hop in a big rig and drive it cross country.

There are dock workers and they're willing to work 24 hours, but there are backups all along the supply chain.  Warehouses are full, rail yards are backed up, etc.

Honored Contributor

Yup. Working mothers is a big deal. So many lower wage workers are WOMEN. Childcare options continue to be lousy and ridiculously expensive. I know families that have decided to tighten the budget rather than have both parents work.

Also, some seniors who used these jobs for part time work have left permanently.

Finally, some service workers have left the field and found jobs elsewhere. Good for them!
Trusted Contributor

i'm pretty sure this won't be a popular opinion, but since worker shortage is messing up many aspects of our economy, i think we should allow foreigners on a very limited and conditional visa, to come to this country to work. it should be strict though, so they can't stay forever. we just need people to fill in the need, otherwise, we will continue to suffer the changes that this pandemic has wrought on businesses 

Honored Contributor

I send out new hire invites weekly and it's not unusual for a prospective employee to ghost us and never complete the new hire process. It's less than a 50/50 chance that they'll either complete the application, show up the first day, or stay for more than a week.

We've also had to hire extra people because the young ones can't multitask like the older generation did which drives up our payroll for what, in the past, would have been an unneccesary expense. They're too busy on their phones and you have to really balance discipline because they will walk for nonsense and there aren't many people lining up to replace them, if any.

I feel bad for this generation which is going to have a very rude awakening when the job market swings back the other way and they actually need a job after leaving mom and dad.

I think workers who got severely abused during the recession and handed two, three or more jobs when half the workforce was laid off and never rewarded for it in raises or benefits which have all but evaporated from today's workplace are just tired. I know I am. If I had been made to quarantine and not work through the pandemic, I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to start up with the day to day nonsense again either.