Honored Contributor

Re: Contact Tracing

[ Edited ]

I get it. For some this seems to be a game of academic, technical, or statistical or political arguing.

Not those who have a loved one on a ventilator or friends or family who have died.

I get it now.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Okay, let me throw this out there.

Would people be okay with having a chip implanted under their skin that monitored everywhere they went and how long they were there?

Who here would be the first to get it?

This would be done to control the virus of course.

After all, people have nothing to hide, right?

It would be more accurate than culling information from people whose memory might not be so good.  

Our cell phones and our c.c. make us chipped anyway.....

But, good concept to throw out there @Anonymous032819 

If it didn't hurt and I didn't get innudated with 100s of text messages per day telling me that x y z person that I probably don't know has the virus, I might say yes.  

Respected Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Okay, let me throw this out there.

Would people be okay with having a chip implanted under their skin that monitored everywhere they went and how long they were there?

Who here would be the first to get it?

This would be done to control the virus of course.

After all, people have nothing to hide, right?

It would be more accurate than culling information from people whose memory might not be so good.  

Our cell phones and our c.c. make us chipped anyway.....

But, good concept to throw out there @Anonymous032819 

If it didn't hurt and I didn't get innudated with 100s of text messages per day telling me that x y z person that I probably don't know has the virus, I might say yes.  

Since the NYT started publishing articles about the movements of individuals based on their cell phone location, I've been leaving mine at home when I go to the store. Haven't missed it yet. I shop, don't do curbside pickup. It's no one's business where I am.

I also pay cash as much as possible. Stores take cash. It seems it's mainly restaurants and the delivery services that require plastic. I don't do either, so no problem.

Protect your privacy or you'll lose it, and you won't get it back.

Honored Contributor

I'm amused at the "I've nothing to hide" mantra I've seen time and time again.

One may not anything to hide but remember-something so little can be molded into something to fit an agenda. 

I have no problem with contact tracing for this pandemic as long as that is all the info will be used for. 

It isn't paranoid to want individual privacy protected; when the good of society benefits from contact tracing during a pandemic, it can be hard to argue with that program.

There are two sides to this, however. 

We have nothing to indicate that the contact tracing is being used solely for the pandemic and we have nothing to indicate that this tracing has nefarious undertones.

We citizens have been watched ever since the Revolutionary War.  LOL  The technology has advanced, that's all.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

Our bank branch opened a few days ago.  They require you to take a "mug shot" at their security camera before you can do business.  Don't like "contact tracing" of any kind.  Too much like "Big Brother" or "1984" or government snooping.  I'll refuse to participate to the extent I can.

@Cats3000   That is very odd.  Do they require masks?  Seems odd to take a mug shot if your face is covered. 

Where is all this information headed if a person is diagnosed with COVID-19??

Let's say a customer at the bank is diagnosed later on.  How is the information on that patient gathered??  How is it known where that patient has been?  Are the answers given by the patient always true and accurate?

I'm trying to understand-if the patient doesn't disclose he/she had been at the bank, how could the contact tracing work?

This is what I need to understand because if not disclosed and the contact tracing begins with that person-the how of it bothers me.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

One may not anything to hide but remember-something so little can be molded into something to fit an agenda. 

I have no problem with contact tracing for this pandemic as long as that is all the info will be used for. 

It isn't paranoid to want individual privacy protected; when the good of society benefits from contact tracing during a pandemic, it can be hard to argue with that program.

We have nothing to indicate that the contact tracing is being used solely for the pandemic and we have nothing to indicate that this tracing has nefarious undertones.

We citizens have been watched ever since the Revolutionary War.  LOL  The technology has advanced, that's all.

Yes, yes and yes! @Cakers3   I have a hard time believing this is ALL that it would be used for. 

Also, what about HIPPA laws?? No way, would it be legal for “them” to blab any medical info to my employer or my family! So if anyone says I’m selfish or paranoid, well so be it! I really don’t care, but HIPPA laws were put in for a reason! 

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Yes, yes and yes! @Cakers3   I have a hard time believing this is ALL that it would be used for. 

Also, what about HIPPA laws?? No way, would it be legal for “them” to blab any medical info to my employer or my family! So if anyone says I’m selfish or paranoid, well so be it! I really don’t care, but HIPPA laws were put in for a reason! 

@wvumountiefan   I remember when people diagnosed with HIV were denied employment, insurance, or dropped from insurance.

The agency I worked for in those very, very  dark times was the first in our area to set up a hotline for HIV/AIDS.  The stories we heard were heartbreaking.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@wvumountiefan   I remember when people diagnosed with HIV were denied employment, insurance, or dropped from insurance.

The agency I worked for in those very, very  dark times was the first in our area to set up a hotline for HIV/AIDS.  The stories we heard were heartbreaking.

That’s terrible! If they are allowed to let your employer and your family know, then they may as well list the names in the paper or on the local news. There is no way that people will not gossip about someone, especially in a work place. Like I said, may as well throw HIPPA laws out the window. SMH 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Contact Tracing

[ Edited ]

@wvumountiefan wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

No one is "blabbing" information to your employer or family or anyone else.  You need to familiarize yourself what contact tracing is.  Your name is not disclosed to anyone you state you were in contact with.  This has nothing to do with HIPPA.

Valued Contributor

The news has already told us where the hot spots are.