Honored Contributor

I did a quick search and saw that the last thread was maybe 3 years old so I thought I would ask the question again.  Does anyone on these boards have their service and what are your thoughts?  It would save me a lot of money if I switched over to them (and apparently you can do this at Target) but would like to get a feel from folks that are currently using their services.

Any thoughts or information you can provide will be greatly appreciated!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Consumer Cellular Question

[ Edited ]

N/M

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

I was looking into it a while back and there seemed to be a lot of good points.

Then I found that it was ATT and their cell service around here is pretty crumby so I was finished checking it out.   Conversely, I know that others have better experience with ATT's cell service though.

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

What is Consumer Cellular? Never heard of it.

@catwhisperer  I don't know how you escaped because they've advertised endlessly on TV.  It probably went in one ear and out the other. 

@momtochloe  I've heard they have excellent CS, although I'm not a customer.  Never hear any complaints about them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Hey ~ I've had it for a year.  I just have the basics, but have never had a problem with their service.  No dead zones when I travel.  No dropped calls, etc.  While out of town recenty, I used the phone more than usual, and they saw I was getting cose to my alotted minutes, and just bumped me up to the next level.  No charge.  They told me, when you get back home, and need less minutes on your plan, just bump back down.  Again, no charge.  HTH

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

@Mistic wrote:

Hey ~ I've had it for a year.  I just have the basics, but have never had a problem with their service.  No dead zones when I travel.  No dropped calls, etc.  While out of town recenty, I used the phone more than usual, and they saw I was getting cose to my alotted minutes, and just bumped me up to the next level.  No charge.  They told me, when you get back home, and need less minutes on your plan, just bump back down.  Again, no charge.  HTH

@Mistic thank you so much as this was exactly the answer I was looking for.  My phone service is now only cell so I am always wondering about coverage and if the need arises what if I go over my allotted minutes but you answered my questions.  Thanks so much for your input, off to Target I go and bye bye T-Mobile!

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  I switched from AT&T to Consumer Cellular in 2015 and am very satisfied with their service.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Occasional Contributor

I've had Consumer Cellular service for the past three or four years and I love it.  As another person mentioned, no dropped calls, customer service is great, and, periodically, they increased the number of free minutes and data service at no additional charge.  If you are an AARP member, you get a couple bucks off the types of service you select.  It is so much better than Verizon Wireless.  There are no contracts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@momtochloe  I switched from AT&T to Consumer Cellular in 2015 and am very satisfied with their service.  

Oh thanks for this @Bird mama as I am slowly clawing my way away from a landline which I had when I was caring for my parents but want to make sure I have the right amount of coverage.  It's good to know folks are happy with their service.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe  I was already an AARP member.  What I like about Consumer Cellular is that they don't jack rates up.  Actually, it's the opposite. After the first 6 months they upgraded my plan without a price increase.  At the beginning of this year, the dropped the price of the plan $20.

I have my cell phone and my sister's cell phone on the plan.  Once I established my service, I added her for $10 a buck.  Where are you going to get that?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise