Honored Contributor

Considering Adjustable Base For Mattress

I am considering buying an adjustable bed frame.  I have a very nice Serta hybrid mattress that's around five years old and don't need a new one.  I think it will work with an adjustable bed frame, because it was shown with one in the showroom where I bought it.  The salesman wanted me to buy an adjustable base at that time, but I wasn't interested.

I've just started researching and will also shop around and ask questions but wanted to get opinions here, too.  I have a Serta hybrid mattress and box spring.  I don't think you use a box spring when you have an adjustable base, do you?  Will I get the same support without a box spring?  I've read conflicting thoughts on that. 

Is the adjustable base the bed frame?  It looks like it is from the pictures.  Would I have to replace my headboard?  I would prefer not to because what I have now works with my furniture.  I don't have a footboard.  I would want to buy it locally so that it could be set up for me.  I'm assuming I would go to a mattress store, is that correct?  I want a nice one, so am not looking to bargain hunt specifically.

I apologize for the long post and appreciate anyone's opinion.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Re: Considering Adjustable Base For Mattress

We have an adjustable split king Tempur-pedic.  The frame takes the place of the box spring.  We use our regular headboard.  Check back to where you bought your mattress since they tried to see you an adjustable base when you bought the mattress.

I will say that in the many years we have had the adjustable bed I have used it very few times and my DH has seldom used it.  I don't read in bed and only used it when I had a bad cough back during the 2020 pandemic.

Esteemed Contributor

We love our adjustable split king.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Trusted Contributor

One way to help decide about a purchase is to think how often you've wished you had an adjustable base. Twice a week? Twice a month? Twice a year?  If it isn't often, it may not be worth the money. Is it something you'd use if you had one, but haven't really missed by not having it everyday? 

What types of use would you make of it--reading in bed nightly;  when you are congested or coughing and need to sleep more upright; when you're using a tablet or laptop while comfy in bed?  

The box spring is replaced by the firm frame of the adjustable, and so only your mattress is retained. If there is a trial period to test the bed frame or you can return it if you don't like it, then don't get rid of the box spring too soon!

Unless you have a preference for a particular brand of adjustable bed frame, perhaps it's worth your time to go back to the store to get a rundown of what frames are ideal for your mattress. Ask a sales person to compare what features different bed frames might offer so you make a decision based on choices most relevant to your own well-thought out use?

Wishing you comfortable sleep.

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal , I am not the OP, but I just want to say thank you for your response.

We are toying with the idea of an adjustable base. We weren't sure of the whys and wherefores. You made it all clear.

The split sounds perfect, but both of us hate the thought of having to change the sheets on it.

Honored Contributor

@sandy53 @MamaWick @gizmogal @hennypenny Thank you all so much for responding.  I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to get back to you.

gizmogal, That was excellent advice about not giving up my box spring too soon in case I don't like the adjustable base.  I would have had the delivery people take it and get rid of it for me.  

I read and watch TV in bed at night, and I think an adjustable frame would be great for that.  I also am having a problem with reflux in the middle of the night.  I've seen my gastroenterologist and have increased my Nexium and added famotidine, but it still occurs.  I'm not overweight and am not sure what's going on, although I do have a hiatal hernia.  I think sleeping with my head raised slightly could help with this.

I am planning on going to the mattress store where I bought my mattress soon and discussing it with them.

Thank you all very much for your replies,

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@NickNack @I do have an adjustable base and have had gastric reflux in the past. Raising the head slightly made a huge difference. That's all I ever used it for, but it worked well. 

Honored Contributor

@Goldenmoher wrote:

@NickNack @I do have an adjustable base and have had gastric reflux in the past. Raising the head slightly made a huge difference. That's all I ever used it for, but it worked well. 

@Goldenmoher   Thank you very much for letting me know this.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

@gizmogal , I am not the OP, but I just want to say thank you for your response.

We are toying with the idea of an adjustable base. We weren't sure of the whys and wherefores. You made it all clear.

The split sounds perfect, but both of us hate the thought of having to change the sheets on it.

We have a split king and they are a PIA to change bedding on and you 2 sets of sheets and blankets. If you have a chest at the bottom, forget it as it has to be moved! We just use ours as a regular king. I don't think my husband ever used the adjustable feature and I'm short and the adjustment was off for me.