Honored Contributor

Confusing Information about Masks-What do you think?

So many mixed messages.

One woman doctor on cnn? said it did no good to wear a mask, only those who are sick need one.

And that wearing gloves only gives you a false sense of security.

She said it is better to wash hands often.

Also saying there will not be enough masks for the medical personnel.

Then we have a doctor on MSNBC answering questions and he says he wears a mask and gloves and stays 6 feet away from patients when taking history.

Also if you look at pictures from China, Europe, here in airports, most people are wearing masks.

I think it is confusing to say a mask won't protect us if not sick, just people who are sick should wear one?

Maybe those who are speaking should just say they are not sure, this is their opinion or something.

I guess some are just making up answers and don't really know.

Also they say stay at home as much as possible, then others say, okay to go to medical office visits, tests, trust that your dr and hospital are taking precautions, and that those sick will not be coming to work.

I think yeah, right, nurses doctors are going to be encouraged to come to work, no one knows if they have it anyway right? no testing for many, or no symptoms.

Those who say if sick, don't go to work, stay home. Nice. That is such a maddening statement. Do they not realize how many are told to come to work whether sick or not? Oh you have the flu? We'll give you one sick day, after that you better get there.

Oh a nurse you have  that contageous viral illness? wear a mask and get here. This is so many workers reality.

Really insane.

What do you think?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Confusing Information about Masks-What do you think?

@on the bay - When I lived in Japan I saw masks frequently. The people wore them if THEY were sick, out of respect for those with whom they would come into contact. They did not wear them to prevent their getting sick.

I'm certainly not that familiar with the masks being discussed now. All I know is some masks are useless because they don't seal completely. The ones that do are in high demand, and the people who really need them in hospitals can't get them. 

One doctor said you are more likely to be infected putting a mask on and off, if the virus has somehow settled on a mask. How would you know?

IDK. I'm trying to go about my regular life some, although I'm off for two weeks. I am careful though. I won't go to crowded places. I've always been a big hand washer, as has the rest of my family. 

DH said a long time ago not to use any antibacterial soap regularly so you don't build up an immunity to viruses. So we didn't. 

I have some friends who are not leaving their homes. That is probably the best thing to do right now.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @beach-mom,

That was a reassuring postSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay I understand your frustration.  Many mixed messages, often from legitimate sources.  Good questions that I doubt can be answered as it depends on who you decide will be your source.  Then add to the mix:  it depends on what kind of mask you are wearing as well as how it fits.  Why would so many people in other countries be wearing masks if it is only for the sick to protect others.  Then why are health workers the only people required to wear one, when the rest of us also come in close proximity to other people that could potentially be a carrier.

I've read conflicting information on all of these questions.  We know to take normal precautions and basically avoid contact with others especially larger crowds and closer proximity.  But wonder if there is a place for masks in that normalcy that is backed by research.  I wonder if there is a definitively correct answer to these questions.

We currently are trying to keep it simple and follow the commonly accepted correct procedures.  But I certainly understand your concern.

Valued Contributor

I am a former RN. Been out of the business for 20 years. I will try my best to share what I know.

The general masks that are usually available in hospital entrances that have loops that go behind the ears and are relatively thin are the kind that we wore if a patient had a compromized immune system. We didn't want them to catch anything from us.

Although the masks work during surgery that actually tie around your head in 2 places are slightly better, they are, again, to make sure that we don't contaminate the sterile field in the OR and spread germs to the patient.

The 95 mask is what we used when we treated TB patients. They sealed around our nose and mouth to protect us from getting anything from the patients. These are the types of masks that will serve health care workers best in dealing with COVID19, as they are better at providing less room for anything to enter around the masks.

As for gloves, unless you know that you are going into dangerous territory, they are probably useless. Let's say that you are going grocery shopping and have 1 pair on. In theory, you grab a cart and clean it with sanitizer, then touch canned goods, pick up a loaf of bread, grab a few apples. Now it's time to pay.

Do you stick your gloved hand in your purse and pull out your walled to get cash or a credit card for payment? If so, everything that your gloved hands touched has now spread to your purse and wallet.

This would be minimized if you carried multiple pairs of gloves and sanitized in between throwing away the old ones and putting on new ones.

Also, if you have to itch your eyes or blow your nose and you only have 1 pair of gloves, what do you do? Do you touch your face with the funky gloves or do you ditch them and then touch your face? If you only have 1 pair of gloves, you are now going to have to finish shopping without any gloves whatsoever.

I think the smartest thing to do is to:

A. Avoid large crowds- never know who has what

B. Stay away from people who are actively ill

C. Be mindful of touching your face. Those viruses and bacteria like mucus membranes like lips, gums, noses, eyes and lids.

D. Stay home if you are in the group of folks who are immune compromized, currently ill with another issue, have heart and lung issues.

E. This nursing mantra has never failed me: HANDWASH, HANDWASH, HANDWASH.

Remember to get under nails and around nail beds. Wash fronts and backs of hands and about 1 inch up your wrists. BEFORE turning on the water, grab your paper towels and place under your arm. Wash well, dry hands THEN TURN OFF WATER WITH THE PAPER TOWEL. Finally, use that paper towel to open the bathroom door by the handle and then pitch it into the garbage.

I hope some of what I wrote was helpful.

Honored Contributor

@pepes mom   I appreciate your post.  And basically you corroborated what we have been hearing from the CDC.  The general face mask is to protect others and the 95 is for our protection from others but it better fit. And, I've read, it is uncomfortable to wear for any length of time.

I like your list of precautions which is accepted information and we will continue to follow those guidelines.  Much respect for those in the medical field, thank you for your post.

Honored Contributor

@pepes mom -

Thank you very much,

Yes, very helpful!

You'd think they could have such clear easy to understand information

on tv. They should put you on!

Trusted Contributor

@pepes mom wrote:

I am a former RN. Been out of the business for 20 years. I will try my best to share what I know.

The general masks that are usually available in hospital entrances that have loops that go behind the ears and are relatively thin are the kind that we wore if a patient had a compromized immune system. We didn't want them to catch anything from us.

Although the masks work during surgery that actually tie around your head in 2 places are slightly better, they are, again, to make sure that we don't contaminate the sterile field in the OR and spread germs to the patient.

The 95 mask is what we used when we treated TB patients. They sealed around our nose and mouth to protect us from getting anything from the patients. These are the types of masks that will serve health care workers best in dealing with COVID19, as they are better at providing less room for anything to enter around the masks.

As for gloves, unless you know that you are going into dangerous territory, they are probably useless. Let's say that you are going grocery shopping and have 1 pair on. In theory, you grab a cart and clean it with sanitizer, then touch canned goods, pick up a loaf of bread, grab a few apples. Now it's time to pay.

Do you stick your gloved hand in your purse and pull out your walled to get cash or a credit card for payment? If so, everything that your gloved hands touched has now spread to your purse and wallet.

This would be minimized if you carried multiple pairs of gloves and sanitized in between throwing away the old ones and putting on new ones.

Also, if you have to itch your eyes or blow your nose and you only have 1 pair of gloves, what do you do? Do you touch your face with the funky gloves or do you ditch them and then touch your face? If you only have 1 pair of gloves, you are now going to have to finish shopping without any gloves whatsoever.

I think the smartest thing to do is to:

A. Avoid large crowds- never know who has what

B. Stay away from people who are actively ill

C. Be mindful of touching your face. Those viruses and bacteria like mucus membranes like lips, gums, noses, eyes and lids.

D. Stay home if you are in the group of folks who are immune compromized, currently ill with another issue, have heart and lung issues.

E. This nursing mantra has never failed me: HANDWASH, HANDWASH, HANDWASH.

Remember to get under nails and around nail beds. Wash fronts and backs of hands and about 1 inch up your wrists. BEFORE turning on the water, grab your paper towels and place under your arm. Wash well, dry hands THEN TURN OFF WATER WITH THE PAPER TOWEL. Finally, use that paper towel to open the bathroom door by the handle and then pitch it into the garbage.

I hope some of what I wrote was helpful.

Thanks

Most informtive and most IMPORTANT POST OF 2020!!!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

From what I've heard

1.  only those with the illness need the masks to prevent passing germs

2.  and the ones who are sick, the tests are meant for.  This separates those who have the virus or those who don't.  But you go in for the tests through a doctor.

That's what I understand from what I've heard via the t.v. reports. We'll have to watch and see what the updates (daily) bring us.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

From what I've heard

1.  only those with the illness need the masks to prevent passing germs

2.  and the ones who are sick, the tests are meant for.  This separates those who have the virus or those who don't.  But you go in for the tests through a doctor.

That's what I understand from what I've heard via the t.v. reports. We'll have to watch and see what the updates (daily) bring us.

@qualitygal 

that makes excellent sense - you can be tested today - you are cleared

catch it tomorrow and have a false sense of security

people want to be tested bc they are scared and I get that