Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote

Seriously, though, I do think that some Internet activity emboldens people to act out in public. The lines get blurred.

An example: one Thanksgiving my daughter's mother-in-law made a political comment that was tone-deaf, and my husband reacted very strongly.

Instead of remembering where he was, he went off on her (very unlike him). My daughter later told me that she thought it was as if he were posting anonymously.

For the record, nobody likes the woman.

@suzyQ3 

I agree, as a society, really much of the world seems pretty much on edge.

Many seem ready to pop.

Guess ranting anonymously is a good release.

@Drythe , for some, yes; for others, not so much. The latter seem to internalize the way they interact online.

@suzyQ3 

You mean their on-line, anonymous behavior becomes their actual life?

Yea... I can imagine that happening.

@Drythe, that, yes, but even more benign effects like the one I described about my husband. Certainly it didn't become his life, but it influenced him in his interaction. He learned a good lesson.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote

Seriously, though, I do think that some Internet activity emboldens people to act out in public. The lines get blurred.

An example: one Thanksgiving my daughter's mother-in-law made a political comment that was tone-deaf, and my husband reacted very strongly.

Instead of remembering where he was, he went off on her (very unlike him). My daughter later told me that she thought it was as if he were posting anonymously.

For the record, nobody likes the woman.

@suzyQ3 

I agree, as a society, really much of the world seems pretty much on edge.

Many seem ready to pop.

Guess ranting anonymously is a good release.

@Drythe , for some, yes; for others, not so much. The latter seem to internalize the way they interact online.

@suzyQ3 

You mean their on-line, anonymous behavior becomes their actual life?

Yea... I can imagine that happening.

@Drythe, that, yes, but even more benign effects like the one I described about my husband. Certainly it didn't become his life, but it influenced him in his interaction. He learned a good lesson.

@suzyQ3 

I understand, missing parts of my tonuge thanks to outrageous comments from my MIL and efforts not to tell her exactly what I thought - just one time.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest  There's a BIG difference between a legitimate COMPLAINT and "Meanness" (whatever that means?).  I stand firmly as an outspoken constructive critic. I'm Assertive (as opposed to Aggressive) in my delivery and always hope that my Complaints result in positive resolution or change for more than myself.

Otherwise our words so easiily typed into online sites mean Nothing if the author is bored, lonely, thoughtless, aimless OR Mean.  Words are powerful, that means ALL WORDS.  Humans are blessed with speech and we need to use our words carefully and for the greater good, even if in the form of a complaint, which is really Constructive Criticism.  I'm so over the negative stereotype of "Woman who Complains"!  I always have to correct people who try to ignore me by labeling me such -- we're in the New Age of Women Speaking Up.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BSurLife65 wrote:

@goldensrbest  There's a BIG difference between a legitimate COMPLAINT and "Meanness" (whatever that means?).  I stand firmly as an outspoken constructive critic. I'm Assertive (as opposed to Aggressive) in my delivery and always hope that my Complaints result in positive resolution or change for more than myself.

Otherwise our words so easiily typed into online sites mean Nothing if the author is bored, lonely, thoughtless, aimless OR Mean.  Words are powerful, that means ALL WORDS.  Humans are blessed with speech and we need to use our words carefully and for the greater good, even if in the form of a complaint, which is really Constructive Criticism.  I'm so over the negative stereotype of "Woman who Complains"!  I always have to correct people who try to ignore me by labeling me such -- we're in the New Age of Women Speaking Up.  

For the greater good as in your post from early this morning on another thread that was poofed? 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom @goldensrbest   That's a good suggestion IF we make it clear that Complaints have subcategories.  Some complaints are unproductive and many others could be more productive when there is a chronic issue affecting a larger group.  Add to this the Suggestions/Ideas for Improvements and we have a more useful Forum.  I often can't find the best/newest category to provide my input and seek opinions.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@occasionalrain  OH thank you for this!!!!!!  I'm actually finding likeminded people here......Praise the Stars.

Valued Contributor

@jeanlake  Actually I happen to get a lot of tension and anger relief from yelling at ALL the people and dogs running around on my lawn! 

"GET OFFA MY LAWN YOU NO-GOOD RUFFIANS, LOITERERS AND YAKKETY YAKS"

Respected Contributor

@BSurLife65 ...your responses are MUCH kinder than mine are towards people who have no respect for others. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Valued Contributor

@cactusgal   IF you're serious then I'm going to find it necessary to Complain about your video advocating Violence against someone who expresses an opinion.  If it's a joke then Good One...albeit violent and bad example of quieting someone down!

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11   What precisely are QVC Forum's definitions of 'controversial' and 'unkind' ?  Seems very subjective to me....I've seen a  real variety of comments and most have some point of view worth reading, even if I don't agree.  What are we, 6 ?????  Censorship is a changing animal, remember the days when S#X couldn't be said on TV?  Now it's a moneymaker and signals true freedom of speech about our real lives. 

Lately QVC appears old-fashioned, prudish, uptight, 'good girl' and EXACTLY like the stifling childhood I thankfully grew out of.  (I hate being called a 'GAL' too!).

Recently Josie Maran said she liked to put her Body Butter on her hubby then 'rub it all over him" and the Host (and everyone) almost fell on the floor in horror at the image of 2 lovers enjoying themselves!  Geez, isn't that the same marketing ploy used to entice women to 'look their best' 'be glowing & radiant' 'look younger' 'trim down, get in shape' 'spray this as a neck-nibbler'. 'get ready for Saturday night date' ...I could go on but I won't.  It's disingenuos for a Seller to talk out of both sides of their Sales Signs.

Rule 1:  Think before you speak.

Rule 2: Think AGAIN before you speak.

Rule 3.  Remember they are YOUR words.