Respected Contributor

Commissary (grocery store) shopping these days shows how flexible you are. The base requires masks or face covering. 100% ID check at store. During senior hour there is an SP stationed there. Shelves including meat has empty spots. But I get a kick out of are all the signs at check out. There is a large plexiglass shield which is normal now. Sign that says Try to use credit or debit card but not money. Of course the cashier wears gloves. She sprays down the conveyor belt between orders and the card reader. I did ask for cash for a bagged tip and I usually get it. The First Sgts. Box for food donations is gone but that sign remains.

Honored Contributor

Yes, there seem to be changes everywhere we look, and none are good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

Do I ever miss the commissary right now. I went for my monthly grocery shopping the first of last month and just got what I needed. If I only knew then what I know now I would have stocked up more on meat. I love commissary meat. The I hit Sams Club 2 days later for paper products and thought about getting their big pack of hamburger but decided next trip. Well there was no next trip. Still haven't built up my courage to go back there and with all the different hours at the commissary I have yet to go there.

Finding beef around here is next to impossible.  Plenty of chicken but right now we are about sick of chicken. Scored some steaks at Walmart blue a few days ago so that was a treat. Right now I am getting really tired of my cooking. I am not use to cooking so much but with the ninja  grill and foodi it has helped.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Commissary shopping now

[ Edited ]

It's been several weeks since I went to our base PX, but now they require 100% ID check and facial masks to enter.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Esteemed Contributor

@traveler   I'm a dependent widow. My closest post is closed to retirees except Monday and Tuesday due to the virus.

The commissary is closed Monday. So that leaves only Tuesday to shop and every retired person and dependent will be there. MAYBE...Not me! 
   They wouldn't order my medicine before time for refill at the pharmacy, Fortunately I knew I didn't want to get in line with sick people so I mail ordered, and have it. But I had to pay, the other would be free.

My husband spent three years in Korea and two in Vietnam, died of Agent Orange. And they let me shop one day a week!  They are struggling to survive. It's the last benefit I have. 
   I'm glad I shopped there every week before it changed. My alternative  is  Aldi. 
   I can go to 8:30 Sr. Time, speed through and get cheaper, fresher vegetables, flavored water that's cheaper, eggs and ice cream, bread, etc. 

The commissary here doesn't restock often, sale dates are expired. Etc. but I go usually bi-monthly. 

There are many retirees here and now shop elsewhere. After this is over I will also.