Honored Contributor

Re: Comment Made to Me Yesterday

When strangers speak to me in public, for any reason, I have learned to babble out some nonsense, they usually turn & walk away.    

I had a guy approach me in Walmart Sunday, he got the "treatment", he walked away shaking his head.Mission Accomplished!

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Yesterday, I went to Costco, to pick up my dad's prescriptions.

While I was waiting for the script to be filled, a woman, a total stranger, said to me as she walked by, "Oh, poor dear! You look so sick!"

I just smiled and said, "No, I'm just tired", and honestly, I was tired.

I can't fathom saying to a perfect stranger, "Oh, my! You look so sick!"

Would you say that to a total stranger?

I wouldn't.

In fact, I think it was kinda rude of her to say that.

I think what I should have said instead was, "You're right. I am sick. In fact, I have a highly contagious disease.". *lol*

Do you think what she said was rude?

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

She's probably also one of those people who approaches strangers and asks about their ethnicity.

I don't see any reason to think that.  

Honored Contributor

'I could write a book', looking back.  What I've found that really works:  A big smile and a laugh!  For whatever reason, that 'gets to them' in a big, big way.  They go home frustrated.  If we know those people, it's jealousy.  If we don't know them, it could still be jealousy.  All kinds of folks out there.........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Rude.

Honored Contributor

People are strange...

I just got back from Quest Labs where I had an appointment to have my labs done and some woman started screaming why is that young, healthy girl going ahead of me. Obviously she had no appointment. I turned around and told her I am in heart failure so thanks for the compliment...you made my day. Her husband shook his head and said "Yeh, right, lady." So even when people are jerks they can be amusing.

I think the woman was very rude to you, Plaid Pants. I hope you are remembering through everything with being a caretaker for your dad that you take care of yourself. I took care of my dad and I remember how tiring it can be.

Honored Contributor

I think she meant well. But you should feel bad as she has foot in mouth disease and it is difficult to cure.

Trusted Contributor

Chalk it up to ignorance.

Honored Contributor

I would not be offended by that.  Maybe she was just trying to be kind.  I would probably laugh and say "I knew I should have put on make-up" or something similar.  I find most people are nice.  

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I would have laughed and said "Well you are not looking so good either."

perfect!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Yesterday, I went to Costco, to pick up my dad's prescriptions.

While I was waiting for the script to be filled, a woman, a total stranger, said to me as she walked by, "Oh, poor dear! You look so sick!"

Do you think what she said was rude?

No.  She noticed your presence and offered what no doubt she intended to be kind words to you.  Accept her words as such.