Honored Contributor

Comcast/Xfinity Discontinuing Norton Security Protection

I first got a notification about this last month (I think). I ignored it, thinking it wasn't authentic. Now I know it is real. I've spent hours on chat and on the phone trying to find an Xfinity rep who can explain what is going on.

Effective January 1, Norton Security will no longer offer protection through Xfinity. The rep I talked to today tried to get me to change to Xfinity's own security program. To do this I have to uninstall Norton.

Posters in the Xfinity forums advised against installing Xfinity's program.

I don't think I want Xfinity's program. Any advice?  TIA!  Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

Re: Comcast/Xfinity Discontinuing Norton Security Protection

@beach-mom 

Not happy about this at all.  Is Comcast going to lower our monthly bill?  NO!

Xfinity's does not offer as many security features Norton's does.  So, beware.  

From what I hear, Microsoft's Windows Defender is very good and already installed on your computer, so as long as you stay off bad websites, etc, you should be good.  I'm not trusting it, though. 

Comcast disabled Defender when Norton was installed, but when Norton is uninstalled, Defender kicks back in. 

You should have been receiving email specials from Norton offering different packages.

I have been putting it off, too, hoping for a better offer from Norton and they did lower introductory prices over time for one year.  After one year, it's full price.  

Norton has been excellent and I hesitate using anything else, so I will sign up tomorrow.

I did hear the old Norton has to be removed before the new Norton is installed.  Not sure if that's true, but very easy to do.   

Respected Contributor

DH signed up for Norton, which we have successfully used for many years. 

Honored Contributor

I was a McAfee devotee for many years.  But when I got a new laptop earlier this year, I went with Windows Security.  It's well regarded and doesn't cost extra.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never used the Norton offered by Comcast as I have been a Trend Micro subscriber for many years.  I know Norton is a very well regarded company, but since being introduced to Trend Micro (through a QVC computer purchase nearly 20 yrs ago), I stuck with them after the initial QVC free period ended, and with subsequent new computer purchases and on my phone.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm also a Trend Micro user on my Windows 10 desktop. Bought my PC from Best Buy and enrolled in their Total Tech program. Since I'm a senior non-tech person their Total Tech has served me very well on all my devices, installations and repairs. Security program was included for free when BB set up my desktop. I had a choice of Trend Micro or Webroot. Both are very good. Chose Trend Micro because it's what my kids use. I had Norton on my PC for some 20 years, but they were always bombarding me with solicitations for Lifelock. Don't know what security is on my iPad and iPhone--whatever they came with I guess. I always do online ordering from my desktop. 

Honored Contributor

I use Windows Defender and it's fine. Antivirus software is largely past its heyday. As long as you keep your computer updated, and practice safe computing, there's very little "need" for it these days. Modern operating systems are far, far more secure than they were in the past. Computer viruses are largely nonexistent these days. Malware is a bigger issue, but most malware is installed by a careless user who ignores multiple warning signs. Things were a lot more dangerous twenty years ago, but these days the threats are fewer and very rare.

Comcast has been losing subscribers and needs to cut costs. Replacing Norton with a lower cost option is one way for them to prop up their bottom line. At least temporarily. Comcast lost 886,000 subscribers in the first six months of 2020. If you assume each subscriber had a bill of at least $100, that's at least $88.6 million dollars in lost revenue. (Reportedly Comcast's average bill is $150+ so the loss revenue would be more like $120+ million.) I should point out that with the virus and everyone forced to stay home, revenue for home entertainment companies like Comcast should have increased over those first six months. Their revenue fell. With 5G internet now here and growing, the old wired services will soon be abandoned. Comcast is in big trouble over the long term.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't recommend McAfee ---it's the most intrusive security protection....it drove me crazy  

Best Buy switched from Trend Micro to Web Root because of complaints about Trend Micro and lack of protection.....  Ive been pleased with Web Root.... Another good option is Malware Bytes...there's a free version and a premium version....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I have a (new) HP Chromebook. Chromebooks are Google products (many brands offer Chromebooks) and have propriatary built in security and that is automatically updated. Chromebooks are updated for 5 years. I added a free antivirus ap to my old one when it no longer got updates. I also use the same free ap on my Samsung phone. I have never paid for antivirus and have never had a problem. 

my former desktops did have Comcast free Norton coverage. 

Trusted Contributor

I agree with @Spurt , stay away from McAfee.  I had a previous computer that got a really bad virus which McAfee neglected to detect.  Was a nightmare to fix.

We've been using WebRoot for years on all our devices and have been very happy.  Sometimes it's cheaper to purchase through Amazon rather than WebRoot's own site for some reason.