Esteemed Contributor

@sann wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

Doesn't Medicare just pay 80% for one every 10 yrs.?

Do they make exceptions ?

Medicare will pay every 24 months if you are considered high risk !!!!!

Medicare will pay every 24 months for high risk, and if you have a recurring history of precancerous polyps the schedule can be annual until such time the test shows that there is no recurrence of the polyps. Even when the doctors feel annual colonoscopies can cease a person in this situation would still be considered high risk and Medicare would pay for the procedure every two to five years.  I am in this group and scheduled every 18 to 24 months.   

Honored Contributor

Ok, I wasn't sure. If she has Blue Cross she will have to pay co pays , deductibles, etc.

My mother had ovarian cancer and died at 28. I had a hysto back when I was 42 took care of that one.

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Ok, I wasn't sure. If she has Blue Cross she will have to pay co pays , deductibles, etc.

My mother had ovarian cancer and died at 28. I had a hysto back when I was 42 took care of that one.

All I paid for was the initial $40 co-pay. Even my prep stuff was nothing but on one of the meds they only had generic so I had to pay $6.98

Had I had polyps, I would’ve paid for each one they removed. Not sure how much.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Update

[ Edited ]

@qvcfreak  Glad everything went well. Like you, my dad passed from colon cancer many years ago. I've had polips, but am still on the "5-year plan". I had to begin the Colonoscopy at a much younger age than friends due to family history.      

Delighted you have BC-BS. When you do retire, keep BC-BS as your supplement policy with Medicare. It's worth the extra monthly premium and it pays 100% of EVERYTHING.
Can't beat that. I'm not about to skimp on health insurance!

Two years isn't that bad and you'll remain healthy! Best wishes.    

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@qvcfreak  Glad everything went well. Like you, my dad passed from colon cancer many years ago. I've had polips, but am still on the "5-year plan". I had to begin the Colonoscopy at a much younger age than friends due to family history.      

Delighted you have BC-BS. When you do retire, keep BC-BS as your supplement policy with Medicare. It's worth the extra monthly premium and it pays 100% of EVERYTHING.
Can't beat that. I'm not about to skimp on health insurance!

Two years isn't that bad and you'll remain healthy! Best wishes.    

I retired at 51 but went back to work, plan to stop August 2022. I worked 30 years and my insurance is paid by the State. I pay $294 a month to carry my son. He will turn 26 in August so I’ll get those funds back in my retirement check. I’m very fortunate to have great insurance.

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak   Good to hear you are doing ok.  I’m on the 5 year plan because of a few polyps at 50.  I just had my third colonoscopy in December.  Prep is prep, not great, but I’m never wanting a big meal after.  I usually make up for it on day two.

My insurance was changing in 2021 so I wanted it before the new year.  I’m very lucky my insurance is great.  No co pay, and the procedure was covered 100%.  (My hmo was eliminated for 2021).  My appointment was on a day we got 11” of snow. Whew.... Done for 5 years!  Take care.

Honored Contributor

Five yrs have passed for me, and this summer, I'll be doing it too.  I didn't have a problem with any of it, except the come back in 5.  So whoopie this year.  

Glad all is well for you on your visit.

Respected Contributor

Awwwww.  Hey!  Great for you!  Keep up the good work. XXXXXOOOOOOOOOO

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @BirkiLady  I've been lucky, I've had 2 colonoscopies with zero polyps. 

My first meal was a small breakfast and I ordered a big dinner but I only eat half and half for another day. 

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak  Glad everything went well for you. I know what a relief it is to hear good news.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Every insurance is different. I have Federal Blue Cross and I'm allowed to have a colonoscopy (screening OR diagnostic) every year with NO co-pay. 

I had my first one done and they found three polyps. The second time they found seven polyps. The third one found just one polyp. I was being screened at three year intervals.

My last colonoscopy was done with a different doctor. My other doctor retired and I was turned over to the new doctor in the practice. When they called with the biopsy results the nurse stated that the doctor said I could have my next screening in five years. I said no thanks, I'll be back in three. The nurse laughed and said, that's something we NEVER hear. LOL!  

Colon cancer runs in my family and since they've always found polyps during my screening I don't want to take any chances. I was lucky that none of the polyps were cancerous. I'd rather have peace of mind and go every three years than five.