Esteemed Contributor

Re: Code Words to avoid Attempted Abductions

Oh my, I am shaking my head while thinking, "Why didn't I ever think of that?"  Very clever, especially in today's world.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

We had a code word too. But I always lived in fear about the puppies/kittens lure. DD has always been an animal lover. I kept teaching her time after time to not go with anyone who had newborn kittens to show her! 

I'll bet the mom of the girl in Florida is so proud of her! 

Honored Contributor

I had a code word that my 2 kids used too. We were post "Adam" abduction/ murder by a few years so I watched my kids like a hawk whenever we were out and about. Wasn't crazy nuts about it, but was always very vigilante until they were old enough to know how to deal with things. Seems like now days theres more of this than in the 80's when my kids were young.

Respected Contributor

Code words. 

Safe place at home.

Absolutely!!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Oh my, I am shaking my head while thinking, "Why didn't I ever think of that?"  Very clever, especially in today's world.

@Lindsays Grandma . Me too!  Never used one with my kids and I guess we got lucky!  

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma . Me too!  Never used one with my kids and I guess we got lucky!  

There was just one time I had a scare and that was when my youngest didn't come home with the other kids on the block from school.  Thankfully it all turned out good, she decided to spend some time at a park close to the school and I assure you, she never did that again. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

We had a code word.  Once the Jr. Soccer Coach tried to drive my youngest up to the upper field where his older brother was practicing.  He refused to get into his car because he did not know the code word.

When DH showed up to pick up both boys, the Jr. Coach was mad our Son refused his ride.  DH explained our rule...  The Coach said "this is a Christian School."  "We Don't Do That!"

DH told him that if he was allowed to drive our Son anywhere, he would have been given the code word.  And, DH was so angry that he told the Guy that even if he was the Pope?  Without the Code, No Getting In Your Car!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

My kids are in their 30's now, but we had a code word back when they were young.  They knew never to go anywhere with anyone - no matter what they said - unless they knew the code word. 

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Unique code words?

Try "armed".

What?

I don't understand.

Are you saying children should be armed?

Or a code word should be "armed"?

@Ms tyrion2

Really? C'mon now!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)