Honored Contributor

Just wanted to add that you can also look into upcycling centers as well.  We don't have any in my city but a co-worker has some near her and I have given her items to take there.

For those that don't know, upcycling centers take items and make something new out of them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Clothing donation/toss?

[ Edited ]

All of our local Goodwill stores are open from 9 to 5, daily--but for donations, only. The stores remain temporarily closed.

The "touchless" process isn't much different. We use the same drive-thru, and workers greet you with the same carts. Where we used to hand off the boxes, they now retrieve them from the car trunk. 

According to media reports about it, they're still issuing receipts on request, too.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

In 2017 - 11.2 million TONS of textile waste ended up in landfills.

It takes 200+ years for textiles to decompose in landfills.  (EPA)

We think what we donate is resold but it a very small %.

I don't know the situation in everyone's neck of the woods right now.

If you do donate to a shelter, please just don't toss everything into a trash bag.  Fold the clothes nicely and place in a box as you would like to have your clothes cared for if shopping.

And remember-nothing you would not wear yourself. (Ripped, buttons missing, etc.-y'all know the drill.)

Thank you for stating this.  I think some people think their trash can be donated.  When I was volunteering at a church I would help sort donations.  It was awful.  I teach my grandkids that when you donate you donate good stuff.  They help me sort when I donate.  I only donate clothes that I am tired of, nothing is wrong with them.  I have donated nice dresses and I have also purchased nice items from resale shops.  My last trip which was months ago I purchased two brand new logo tops.  Tags still on them.  

@Cakers3

@sunshine 919 

i have posted this before, but you CAN donate older clothing and rags for textile recycling. you may want to look into it for those unwanted pieces that really cannot be resold or donated for use.

You really shouldn’t donate your poor-condition clothing to a thrift store — you’ll waste their time when it comes time to sort, and if you’re getting rid of it because of its condition, you can bet no one else will want to wear it, either.

For those stained, torn or otherwise unwearable textiles, clothing recycling is the answer. Find a drop-off spot near you using our Recycling Locator.

Some companies like Patagonia accept their own clothing items back for recycling, while fashion retailers like H&M and American Eagle Outfitters offer in-store clothing recycling bins to collect textiles and accessories of any brand, so recycling your clothing is now as easy as a trip to the mall.

Find a drop-off location for clothing and accessories near you using the Recycling Locator.

https://earth911.com/recycling-guide/how-to-recycle-clothing-accessories/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I send my annual closet cullings to my sister in rural Maine:  we are similar in size and she keeps what she likes, giving the rest to the Goodwill equivalent up there.  My niece is a size 0 (not my size) but she wears the same shoe size, so she often finds something to wear. I am kind of fickle and get tired of my work clothes periodically. Recycling makes me feel less guilty.

I called her to check this year due to the virus concerns, to see if I should donate to the hospital thrift shop this time (they seem to be still taking donations); but she will keep the boxes out on her porch a few days to kill any virus and is happy to hear they will be soon on the way. 

My whole house has 3 coat closets so I do have limited storage and have to purge annually.  I've got one more closet to clear.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

People have been saying now is not the time to acquire used clothing or buy it from Ebay or buy as - is either.  Makes sense.  Lots of people out there don't want to take the risk even when no one was sick.  

I have no problem buying as-is or stuff from e-bay.  I wash it anyway.  I just don't get this but I know a lot of people who think that way.    

I would think washing would be all that is needed.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

with all of the needy/homeless/battered people out there, i cannot believe someone would just say to TOSS the clothing. Smiley SurprisedMan Sad

@sunshine45  Actually the charities often have far more clothing than they can use and sell it unsorted as scrap mostly to overseas buyers.

I only donate really nice things, and don't feel guilty about tossing a lot of it.  Especially t shirts.

When you drive by the Salvation Army in a nearby town and see the mounds of things they have and look at the junk that a lot of people drop off, you start to think carefully about what you donate.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Clothing donation/toss?

[ Edited ]

I got fussed at a little bit at Goodwill when dropping off some household/kitchen items. 

Their stores reopened and began accepting donations recently, but have a new rule that all items be in boxes. 

Most of mine were boxed, but a few were not.

Was told the  boxes were needed because items are being quarantined before going out onto the sales floor.

Respected Contributor

My Goodwill wasn't accepting donations for quite an while, but they are now. The procedure is "contactess." They have two big yellow bins in front of the donations door, one marked "Clothing" and one marked "Household." I don't know whether they've expanded their list of items they don't accept, but I have another place that can accept those for resale or recycling (TVs and electronics, furniture, etc.). The Goodwill store is still closed to shoppers.

If you're just assuming that because the store isn't open, they're not taking donations, you might want to double-check the website or call them.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

with all of the needy/homeless/battered people out there, i cannot believe someone would just say to TOSS the clothing. Smiley SurprisedMan Sad

@sunshine45  Actually the charities often have far more clothing than they can use and sell it unsorted as scrap mostly to overseas buyers.

I only donate really nice things, and don't feel guilty about tossing a lot of it.  Especially t shirts.

When you drive by the Salvation Army in a nearby town and see the mounds of things they have and look at the junk that a lot of people drop off, you start to think carefully about what you donate.  

@Sooner 

i am fine with them selling it as unsorted scrap, especially if it helps keep them out of landfills.

upcycling is a big thing now and i hope more people will take advantage of donating instead of tossing.

see my link in an above post regarding clothing that is not wearable/usable.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45  I think all of us should do as we please with what we have purchased.  If you don't want to donate it fine, if you do fine.

But we shouldn't be shamed or judged about either.