Highlighted
Honored Contributor

DH and I both quit several years ago but I don't remember the price. Maybe around $4/pk?

A smoke shop down the street from us has a constant stream of traffic.

Honored Contributor

@Terrywu wrote:

Wow, after checking that list I am grateful my husband and I quit almost 30 years ago.  We live in Chicago area and at those prices I don't think I could enjoy smoking any more.

When I see homeless people asking for money....and smoking....at $10 a pack???  I guess I am too cheap to pay that! They could save those $10  spent on packs of cigarettes and put it towards improving their life?

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

T H A N K   Y O U   

FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

HOLY SHIZZLE!

Those prices are enough to make ya quit! YIKES!!!!!

I never had a habit, but when I was in the 7th grade and tried smoking (failed thankfully) they were 55 cents!!!! (circa 1975)

Honored Contributor

I haven't smoked cigarettes for nearly 30 years but I remember one day, actually a number of years ago, being in line at the grocery store behind a customer who asked for a pack and it was around $10.  I was SHOCKED! 

Back when I got my carton of Virginia Slim Light Menthols (yeah, lightweight here!), it was $10 for the whole freaking carton!

Honored Contributor

I quit back in November 1997.  Gave up sugared soda at the same time so the pain would be felt all at once.  But if they could come up with a not going to die cigarette I would knock down everyone to get to the store as fast as possible.  Not even sure my "cheaper than dirt" "spendthrift" ways would keep me from buying at least a couple of packs. $13.75 mercy me!!  I still miss it and even dreamed about smoking last week.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I haven't smoked cigarettes for nearly 30 years but I remember one day, actually a number of years ago, being in line at the grocery store behind a customer who asked for a pack and it was around $10.  I was SHOCKED! 

Back when I got my carton of Virginia Slim Light Menthols (yeah, lightweight here!), it was $10 for the whole freaking carton!

Heartheavy wieight for me!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

Whew! Neither DH nor I ever smoked a day in our lives.  Didn't realize how much money we saved. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

When I see homeless people asking for money....and smoking....at $10 a pack???  I guess I am too cheap to pay that! They could save those $10  spent on packs of cigarettes and put it towards improving their life?

If it were easy to quit smoking, there would be far more former smokers in the world. However, it's difficult to stop. Very difficult for most.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I quit back in November 1997.  Gave up sugared soda at the same time so the pain would be felt all at once.  But if they could come up with a not going to die cigarette I would knock down everyone to get to the store as fast as possible.  Not even sure my "cheaper than dirt" "spendthrift" ways would keep me from buying at least a couple of packs. $13.75 mercy me!!  I still miss it and even dreamed about smoking last week.

@beckyb1012  I quit smoking 29 years ago....cold turkey....I smoked two packs a day...a real addiction.  I KNOW that I am only a smoke away from going back if I chose to....so that is what keeps me smoke free and have never had one cigarette since the  day I quit.

I smoked Menthol cigarettes.....so now I  still chew trident sugar free spearmint  gum....stems from quitting smoking and having that Menthol feeling in my mouth....

once addicted always an addicted is my philosophy.  I value my health and happiness so much more than my addiction THANK GOODNESS 🙂❤️