Esteemed Contributor

Legendary pilot, Chuck Yeager, who broke the sound barrier, died today at age 97.

Esteemed Contributor

I just saw this on the news. What a great American! May he RIP.

Honored Contributor

We were wondering why the flag was at half staff over or near Home Depot. Early afternoon.

We saw it from a distance away, and it looked as though it was  at HD.  But not sure.

RIP, Mr. Yeager.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

We were wondering why the flag was at half staff over or near Home Depot. Early afternoon.

We saw it from a distance away, and it looked as though it was  at HD.  But not sure.

RIP, Mr. Yeager.  

I think the flags are at half staff because today is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day.

Honored Contributor

With all the risky, dangerous things he did as a test pilot, it's ironic he died of old age at age 97.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A great patriot.  RIP.

Valued Contributor

Yeager seems to have been fearless.  A real warrior and hero.  I was made aware of him by watching the awesome movie "The Right Stuff" at a younger age.  RIP.

Honored Contributor

@birdQ13 wrote:

Yeager seems to have been fearless.  A real warrior and hero.  I was made aware of him by watching the awesome movie "The Right Stuff" at a younger age.  RIP.

@birdQ13 

He was really a piece of work from God, how smart, how brave and how good looking he was.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chuck Yeager R.I.P.

[ Edited ]

I salute Chuck Yeager and his admirable courage and genuine patriotism.  He remains one of the great pioneers of aviation -- even after all the test flights; Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space programs; the Space Shuttle program; and the International Space Station.  

Like Kachina624, the first thought following my initial feeling of sorrow was that he died at such a ripe old age after having subjected his body to so much abuse -- all for advancing the place of the U.S. in flight and the space program.

Chuck Yeager is forever ensconced in my personal Aviation Pioneer Hall of Fame.  He stands alongside John Glenn, Alan Shepard, Neil Armstrong and Eugene Cernan, who all hold fascination for me and hold my highest respect.  (In truth, I hold in high esteem all who contributed to the U.S.'s success in exploring space, but those mentioned stand out.)

May the memory of the brave and magnificent Chuck Yeager be eternal!  Our nation is greatly indebted to him.