Occasional Contributor

Christmas Card Mix-Up? What would you do??

Hi, Smile

We have a wall of mailboxes at work with everyone's name on each box, of course. The usual swapping of Christmas cards has taken place. I emptied my mailbox -- I got a card with Ms. lapsadoodle written on the envelope. I opened it up and inside the card, it said "Dear Mary" (NOT MY FIRST NAME!!!!). There was a $10 Starbucks gift card in it. FYI: Everybody here knows each other's first and last names.

I went over to Mary's desk and said, "Here. Look at this and tell me what you think." She looked at the envelope with my name on the outside and hesitated. I said, "Open it up." She opened it and read, "Dear Mary", then looked at me. I looked at her. I asked her if she usually gets gifts from this individual "cause I don't, although this year, I'm doing some work for this individual. Long story short . . . . we both decided that the gift was meant for her {#emotions_dlg.blushing}{#emotions_dlg.sad} rather than me. She said when she thanks the giver, she'll get a better idea from the reaction. She told me she felt badly for me, but I just brushed it off.

Anyhow, how would you guys handle a situation like this? ETA: Because on the outside chance it was meant for me, I should thank the giver.