Respected Contributor

Re: Chiropractor refused service

[ Edited ]

A chiropractor or any health care provider is under no obligation to see any individual that they determine that falls in a category they don't want to see in their practice.  Taking a medical professional oath does not mean that they cannot set parameters for various situations in which they will not see patients.  Nor does it mean that they are required to jeopardize their own personal safety along with the safety of others.

Many pediatricians have stopped seeing children in their practice that are not vaccinated.  They simply don't want their parents and infants in their practice possibly exposed to childhood diseases that an unvaccinated child might bring into the office.  Their practice, their right to establish that protocol.  If the parents don't like it, they can seek care from a pediatrician that would see children that were not vaccinated. 

Same thing here.  The chiropractor has a protocol and is going to follow it.  He asked the client to go home and quarantine for 2 weeks due to a possible exposure to the coronavirus.  His practice, his right to do so.  He might not have the proper PPE for himself or staff that is of the best protection (non medical grade masks versus N95s) so that he is making a decision that it is not safe in case the person is contagious with the coronavirus.  Nor is he probably trained in infectious disease protocol, so he should not be expected to practice outside his realm. 

People keep forgetting that one of the many troublesome hallmarks of this virus is that people are asymptomatic for several days before they start to exhibit symptoms. They feel fine, have no temp, etc.  But they are still contagious during the time they have no symptoms.  So if this chiropractor contracts a virus from someone that did have an exposure, he could infect other patients, his family, his parents, etc.  No medical oath supercedes trying to protect the lives of others.  In fact, they take an oath to protect people.

At any rate, he didn't completely refuse to see him at all, just to do the 2 week quarantine and then evidently come back in for an appointment after 2 weeks has elapsed from the exposure.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Valued Contributor

@caroln242 - You might want to read pitdakota's post.  

Respected Contributor

@caroln242 I think the plant idea triggered the chiro.  Lots of people walking around, etc.  We have heard so much about meat plants, too.

Honored Contributor

no the pediatricians not accepting non vaccinating are because insuance will not pay them anymore!

The non -vaccinated parents are not against vaccines, just want safe vaccines! It has just been several years since vaccines have stopped putting mercury! in the vaccines! You are a very lucky parent if you have not have a child diastrously affected by a vacine!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

no the pediatricians not accepting non vaccinating are because insuance will not pay them anymore!

The non -vaccinated parents are not against vaccines, just want safe vaccines! It has just been several years since vaccines have stopped putting mercury! in the vaccines! You are a very lucky parent if you have not have a child diastrously affected by a vacine!

___________________________________________________--

Sorry @on the bay, my kids pediatrician adopted that policy long ago.  It had nothing to do with insurance not paying them. I kow this pediatrician well since she is the daughter of a personal friend.  There was an incident in one of the other offices here in which a young infant contracted measles from a child in which the mother refused to vaccinate her school aged child.  So they long ago met and decided it was unethical of them to place parents and the infants being brought into their practice at risk.

We had a pediatrician that also posted here for some time and her practice made the same decision.  She made it very clear she did not agree with not vaccinating children and they would not see them in their practice for any reason. 

Understand you might have a problem with it, but their decisions had nothing to do with insurance but more that it was something they did not agree with and didn't want to place others at risk.  Pure and simple.

BTW, measles is highly contagious and airborne.  So it travels through the vent system.  Hard to control and therefore potentially exposes wee ones too young for vaccinations with little immunity without much notice.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota -I'm sorry but I know that pediatricians have not accepted non vaccinated not just because of safety but because they would not be covered by insurance.

And you were not one I take it who has had a child affected by a vaccine that changed their life. And even back then, his pediatrician was wise enough to half the dose of pertussis!

I'm sorry but you can not speak to the total of this unless you have experienced the detriments of it personally with your child.

And I do respect your expertise but I thin Until a parent has had a child dammaged directly by a vaccine you cannot know of what parents are feeling and talking about.

On his 2nd DPT dose, my son had a high fever, a high pitched scream, a seizure! I called the pediatrician and even back then he halfed his dose for the rest of his life with a note written to the schools allowing him to be admitted! You cannot tell parents who this have happened to maybe the one in a thousand that this hasn't affected them for the rest of their lives! Not to believe that all vaccines are perfectly safe!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@caroln242 and anyone on this thread,

Have you thought of finding a physiotherapist who is doing tele - physio appointments? That is what I'm currently doing now. I started seeing a physio back at the beginning of January because I have chronic tendonitis in my left achilles tendon.

I saw him for 2 months in a sports medicine physio clinic, then I went on a vacation and by the time I could make another appointment in March they had decided to close down in mid March due to the pandemic. So I have been doing tele-physio appointments over my ipad (the setup is similar to facetime) and so far it's worked out fairly well since the end of March. Once the clinic re-opens in late May I'm going back in. Of course they will have to make big differences than before for safety and social distancing. 

But tele medical care like tele physio is here to stay! My physio will be doing both in clinic and tele appointments with his patients.

Respected Contributor

@pitdakota I agree with your post.  However in your last paragraph I was confused.  I read the original poster as saying his employer required that he quarantine for 2 weeks when his coworker tested positive....which the OPs husband did,  it wasn't the chiropractor who told him to quarantine and then he could have an appointment.

Maybe I read the OPs post incorrectly, but that's how I took it.

Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@pitdakota -I'm sorry but I know that pediatricians have not accepted non vaccinated not just because of safety but because they would not be covered by insurance.

And you were not one I take it who has had a child affected by a vaccine that changed their life. And even back then, his pediatrician was wise enough to half the dose of pertussis!

I'm sorry but you can not speak to the total of this unless you have experineced the detriments of it personally with your child.

@on the bay, so sorry about your child, it is horrible when something happens to our kids.  Don't know the specifics and don't need to know them now.  Not that I don't care, but this is a thread that has nothing to do with vaccinations, but rather that pediatricians can and do set protocols that they will not see patients when the parents refuse vaccinations based on their principles. 

My grandson's doc has a big sign in their waiting room that they follow the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatricians and if after consult a parent refuses vaccination for their child, they will be discharged as a patient and not followed by the practice.   Insurance may or may not pay for that visit, but that is not the purpose of their policy.  It goes against their protocols. 

So back to the original discussion......health care providers can and do establish protocols of what types of patients will be seen in that practice.  And this chiropractor has every right to establish his protocols during the covid-19 situation.

So best to let the other discussion take place another day and let this thread progress as to the situation about the chiropractor.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota -

yes you are right and I agree the chiropractor has every right to protect himself.

Forgive me for going off topic as you can surmise it is a sensitive topic.