Respected Contributor

Re: Chiropractor refused service

@alicedee wrote:

@pitdakota I agree with your post.  However in your last paragraph I was confused.  I read the original poster as saying his employer required that he quarantine for 2 weeks when his coworker tested positive....which the OPs husband did,  it wasn't the chiropractor who told him to quarantine and then he could have an appointment.

Maybe I read the OPs post incorrectly, but that's how I took it.

_________________________________________________-

@alicedee, indeed she did state that and I overlooked it.  Could be the chiropractor didn't fully understand the quarantine was finished or maybe if he had been back to work he may have considered him high risk since he was exposed once in the work place, he might be exposed again.  That is going out on a limb as far as his stance, but again, he has every right to set his own protocols to try and ensure the saftey of his practice.

In our state, when non-essential businesses do reopen, they are going to require that every employer require information about testing and be established with a testing center.  So that if an employee reports to work with a temp, they are sent to be tested.  If a customer comes in with a temp or says they might have been exposed...they are supposed to tell them to report to the testing center to be tested.

Obviously, they can't make the customer go.  They can refuse service for the customer, but they want people to have the information of where to go to be tested. The goal will be not to just turn the customer away, but to encourage them to be tested and tell them where they can go to be tested.

Guess we will see how it works when they start doing this . It would have really been better if the chiropractor had suggested that this patient be tested, but then again testing supplies are limited in some areas. That may be the case in this area.  So the chiropractor may have decided he just didn't want to take the risk and told him to quarantine for 2 weeks and then come back.  Bottom line is he can do that  and it doesn't go against any oath.   

I suspect in some areas based on seeing some interviews here and other places that there are many areas where people are very hesitant about their business/practice.  They have said they will open on a  limited basis but expect they will be over cautious until they see what the activity of the virus might be as things start to open back up again.    Some of them are really scared, both about the virus and about their financial situation.  Boy a delicate balancing act to say the least. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@pitdakota -

yes you are right and I agree the chiropractor has every right to protect himself.

Forgive me for going off topic as you can surmise it is a sensitive topic.

@on the bay    HeartHeartHeartHeart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

How long does a person answer yes to the question about being exposed? If the man worked in the same building with someone who had it five weeks ago, there must come a time when he can honestly answer no to that question.

Super Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

How long does a person answer yes to the question about being exposed? If the man worked in the same building with someone who had it five weeks ago, there must come a time when he can honestly answer no to that question.

I agree completely.  What if a co worker had it 3 months ago?  4 months?  5 months?  There will come a time when we have ALL been exposed. So we should answer yes and never get any medical treatment?

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

I agree completely.  What if a co worker had it 3 months ago?  4 months?  5 months?  There will come a time when we have ALL been exposed. So we should answer yes and never get any medical treatment?

If a person has been exposed, the honest answer to the question, "have you been exposed?" is rather obvious...if the question includes a time period, that's different. I'm sure in this case, the issue for the doctor was not the "yes" answer, but how recently, and the fact that @caroln242's husband is still regularly in the environment where he had been exposed (and therefore in contact with others who were also exposed and might not have quarantined as well...) That makes him a higher risk. Hopefully the chiro will give some referrals to competent colleagues who would be willing to treat him.

Respected Contributor

If your husband hasn't had any symptoms and has consistently passed the daily testing at work, then he doesn't have the virus, and more importantly, wasn't exposed to it.

Plus, he could be shedding viruses all over the place even though he isn't sick himself.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

My physical therapist closed her practice in early March ... so all her clients are out of luck.  And ... the gyms are closed!  By the time PT can re-open - we'll all be crippled!

My ENT and audiologist are open - but I cancelled my appointments.  They were just routine checkups / hearing test.  I told them I'd reschedule when everything else was opened.

Only thing I'm worried about is the PT ... 

I have not kept any appointments either - skipped mammogram, eye exam, dental cleaning, routine appt with primary care physician, etc.  I figured they were not worth the risk but I did keep an appt for surgery on my hand (in doctors office) for skin cancer.  

@DiAnne 

I have a mammogram appointment next week.  I had to pick my poison not get the mammogram and possibly have breast cancer, or  be exposed to Coronavirus. I don't like either choice, but at this time I am more frightened of breast cancer.