Honored Contributor

Re: Chicken made the list

[ Edited ]

If you believe every thing on the hit list we would never eat, wear any material, use products, live in any houses any where.  All the cancer causing lists are scare tactics.  Take it all with a grain of salt.

I remember in the early 60's when canberries were said to be cancer causing and when we were served our Thanksgiving and Christmas lunches in high school we were ask if we wanted the cranberry serving.  Now days cranberries are supposed to be one of the safe and good for you foods.

I dont trust "their" lists at all.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Or maybe it's the hormones and antibiotic laden diets they're fed?

@Snowpuppy 

Along with the chemicals in the air & water.

We are making BBQ chicken breasts on the grill for dinner tonight.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Now, the important 'facts' about this 'study':

"Eating chicken puts consumers at a higher risk of a rare form of blood cancer, non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, as well as prostate cancer in men, according to researchers from Oxford University. 

The research involved tracking 475,000 middle-aged Britons over a period of eight years between 2006 and 2014. 

Their diets were analysed alongside the diseases and illnesses they suffered with.

Around 23,000 of them developed cancer.

'Poultry intake was positively associated with risk for malignant melanoma, prostate cancer and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma', according to the paper published in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 

The research that was carried out was an 'association study'. 

This means that it only shows the correlation between eating chicken and the certain types of cancers, rather than investigating the reasons why. 

There are a number of factors that could cause this link. 

It could mean that the meat itself contains a carcinogen but it could even come down to how the meat is cooked.

Up until now, chicken has been widely regarded as a healthy alternative to red meat.  

Red meat is known to raise health risks including breast, prostate and colorectal cancer because of how the blood from the meat product is digested."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7440195/Oxford-University-scientists-claim-Britons-eat-poul...

@KingstonsMom, thank you for the facts. It's a interesting study that I hope is the basis for more than just an "association study."

I'm not one to simply ignore all such scientific studies; I take, though, wait for more conclusive information.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

The the subjects were self-reporting food choices, than the data is very suspect.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

I totally agree, I'll wait for actual scientific studies, not 'associative studies'.

That doesn't prove whether or not the 23,000 out of 475,000 who ate chicken and got cancer, didn't have other factors affecting their likelihood of getting some type of cancer.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@suzyQ3 

I totally agree, I'll wait for actual scientific studies, not 'associative studies'.

That doesn't prove whether or not the 23,000 out of 475,000 who ate chicken and got cancer, didn't have other factors affecting their likelihood of getting some type of cancer.

@KingstonsMom  right. But I think that this study does in fact account for correlation. What it didn't account for, though, is exactly what caused that correlation -- in other words, is it something within the chicken itself, what might that be, or is it dependent upon how the chicken is cooked.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner 

.......so you're daring to eat chicken and rice?  In one day?  At the same time in one meal?

If so.......I can predict with absolute certainty that  someday, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!!

LOL!!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tyak 

It is all about the wording. Nothing in the study says that chicken causes cancer. 

Who paid for the study? That is likely to be more telling. Maybe the beef or seafood or corn people?

Honored Contributor

Sigh . . . how on earth could chicken cause cancer?  Unless of course you include the processing that the US regularly throws in like blasting them with chlorine to the point that countries aren't interested in doing business with us (but of course we ourselves are still eating it) . . . again, sigh.

Honored Contributor

Could Arby's be trying to lure some of those chicken-sandwich-loving customers away from Popeye's?