Honored Contributor

Re: Chicken Breasts Jumped Overnight by $1 lb In My Area

@Sooner wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@Foxxee could join any number of protests against the conditions in which factory meat animals are kept. She could refuse to buy chicken or eggs from large factory farms and buy from her local farmer instead. She can send money to animal rights groups. She can send letters and make phone calls to her local representatives demanding that factory farms in her state are adhering to all regulations.

No act of protest is too small. Every act of protest has a ripple effect.

@JamandBread 

Exactly.  

Excellent suggestions.  Also, become a member of Humane Society of the United States.  They have been fighting factory farming for quite some time.  

If you are against "factory farming" go vegan right now.  If there is no factory farming, you can kiss chicken goodby or get a second job to pay for it.

It's ok to not want fossil fuels, to not want a lot of things that we can't supply and can't afford right not.  So don't eat eggs or chicken and turn off the lights in your house now.  Stop using the car and the washing machine too.  

What "should" be and what we want and what we can afford are all different and it's time people woke up to reality.  So how do you want to really live?  That is the issue. 

Not your call to tell other people what to do.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I do not know what I did with an edit to my post but I mentioned how Trader Joe's chicken has risen by $1, too.

This is their organic free range chicken which we buy once in a while.

(I think I deleted it.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Chicken breasts (and thighs) are $2.29 at my market this week. I bought an extra package of each for my freezer. If it wasn’t available or more than I wanted to pay, I would have found something else.

Eggs are up 40 cents. That just shy of 25%. I’m ok with that. It still makes an omelette a cheap lunch.
Honored Contributor

I regularly pay around $5-6 for eggs because I will only purchase organic pasture raised. Cheap eggs from caged hens are the result of barbaric living conditions.
Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe  the only good thing about rising egg prices is that I see the price differance between caged hen eggs and pasture raised is closing. More people might be willing to shell out the differance and find out just how much better pasture raised eggs are.

Pasture raised is a must.  Cage free just means no cages. The hens are still stuck in the warehouse/ barn.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabehas a great point. It's a great time to try eggs that are produced under less cruel conditions. If the prices are all similar, trying the less cruel option is a chance to cause less suffering while you eat your breakfast.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr