Honored Contributor

Chewy doesn't deliver to HI, but I have found great prices on my puppy's brand of food on Amazon, much less expensive than Petco (Petsmart doesn't sell the brand).  Being a Prime member I get free shipping.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

What is wrong with PetSmart? I haven't shopped from Petsmarts in many many years so I don't follow what is going on with them. 

I've shopped at Chewy.com and really like them but I also really love drs. foster and smith (been shopping with them for almost 20 years now!) and they are now owned by Petco. Their heartguard prices are the best I've come across, especially during their additional 10% off sales.  Fortunately, I haven't found any change in their excellent CS and they often send me great discounts. I save so much more money shopping with them as I have to feed and treat alot of big dogs (125+lbs) over the years. 

On line retailers operate differently than b&m's.- which  think of Petsmart as moreso. When I've been in their store, many of the employees don't seem to know which end is up Woman Frustrated- I hope they don't mess with Chewy's on line presence!

Oh I would never take advice from a petsmart employee- for the most part, they are just kids with no background in animal care. To me, it is simply a store to shop at, like a target or something. Certainly not a place to get animal healthcare advice. I always found petsmart and petco expensive and not competitive at all pricewise. If I do need pet supplies asap, I always go to my locally owned pet supply store instead of petsmarts or petcos. The people there are actually very knowledgeable, friendly and I like to support small, local businesses as much as possible. 

@HappyDaze  Some items I originally bought at Petco and cost a small fortune, amazon had for so much less, so now I go to amazon for collars, shampoo, etc.  I still have to buy my dog food, Primal,  at Petco as it is frozen and cannot be shipped from anywhere that I know of.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

After having learned that Chewy has been sold to PetSmart, I've been torn about continuing to buy from them, despite their great prices and superior service. But they'd mailed me a $15 coupon for cat food, my cats needed food, and yesterday at 5:22 PM I placed an order with them.

I just heard a thump on the porch and checked tracking for the package. It was delivered at 1:18 PM, less than 20 hours after I placed it. Free delivery.

This is what's making it hard to kick Chewy to the curb. Cat Sad

@noodleann. Yes....I felt worried about the buyout, but they still have amazing CS and shipping is amazing too!  Love Chewy!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

What is wrong with PetSmart? I haven't shopped from Petsmarts in many many years so I don't follow what is going on with them. 

I've shopped at Chewy.com and really like them but I also really love drs. foster and smith (been shopping with them for almost 20 years now!) and they are now owned by Petco. Their heartguard prices are the best I've come across, especially during their additional 10% off sales.  Fortunately, I haven't found any change in their excellent CS and they often send me great discounts. I save so much more money shopping with them as I have to feed and treat alot of big dogs (125+lbs) over the years. 

@HappyDaze  Are you talking about Dr. Foster having the best price for Heartguard?  I use 1-800 Petmeds for mine, but if Dr. foster's is less, I will check it out.

Yes @mousiegirl they have always been cheaper than 1-800-petmeds as I comparison shop every year when I go to re-order. I always buy 12 months worth at a time though, to get the most discount. HTH!

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife @mousiegirl I too get many dog supplies from Amazon and from jet.com. I get my float coats, harnesses, winter jackets and collars and some supplements usually from either of these places, depending on who is cheaper at the time (both companies' prices fluctuate on an almost daily basis so you have to be careful!). 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

After having learned that Chewy has been sold to PetSmart, I've been torn about continuing to buy from them, despite their great prices and superior service. But they'd mailed me a $15 coupon for cat food, my cats needed food, and yesterday at 5:22 PM I placed an order with them.

I just heard a thump on the porch and checked tracking for the package. It was delivered at 1:18 PM, less than 20 hours after I placed it. Free delivery.

Did you have to sign up on a mailing list to get that coupon @noodleann?

Honored Contributor

Am I the only one to read the title 'Chewy' & think....

IMG_1873.jpg

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

Did you have to sign up on a mailing list to get that coupon @noodleann?

LOL, I'll tell you how I got it, or at least why I think they sent it to me. I'd signed up for an autoship for 2 bags of Taste of the Wild, my cats' dry food, when there was a price war and it was less than $25 a bag. I let one autoship happen without checking the going rate and it had gone up $6 a bag, so I modified and then terminated the autoship. That's when they sent me the coupon. So sign up for autoship, let them ship you a scheduled order or two, quit, and wait by the mailbox. Cat Wink

It was a one-use thing or I'd have shared, believe me. Fifteen bucks off a $50 food order is a 30% discount. Nice.

Respected Contributor

BTW, in my quest to get a lower-priced, calorie-dense canned food for my sick little kitteh, I hit our two local pet boutiques, first one that had consistently sourced my Taste of the Wild and World's Best Cat Litter, Lavender, that my incarcerated cat uses. They have a great couple running the place and are very helpful.

A couple of years ago, the shop had trouble with their distributor and couldn't get the lavender litter, which I needed. That's when I discovered the deals on Dr. F&S, Chewy, Amazon, and Jet. Since then, I'd bought mainly online and not been into the pet boutiques.

I was shocked by how much less stock the store now has. Not a single can of wet food for cats. I'd say they have half their inventory. The owneer said they're not closing, just paring down to what sells. I vowed to myself then that I'd buy at least every other bag of Taste of the Wild from them, just to help keep them around.

The other pet boutique, which I rarely go to, was listed by Evo as selling their food. Again, not a can or a bag of Evo, for dog or cat. They stopped because people weren't buying. (Unlike the other boutique that's price-competitive, they are not, so I'm not crying for them.)

Both of the shopkeepers did everything but spit on the floor when I mentioned Chewy. Their stores tell the story of the effect of online shopping. I really appreciate the little boutique that I like because they've helped me with rescues, vet recommendations, and are just good members of the community. I don't want to see them shut up shop because they lost business to a conglomerate. I'm telling this story as a suggestion to animal people that if you have a local shop like mine, consider giving at least some of your business to them instead of buying online.

Respected Contributor

Does pet food arrive okay on hot days?  Would hate to see pets get sick from cans left ouside after travelling in hot trucks.