Contributor

There are magazines but be a sweetie and bring some to leave there for others.

This might be a good time to gift her with a get-well-I -am- with- you poncho.

Honored Contributor

@Miranda1550   God bless you for caring for your friend during these very trying times.  God has your friend in His hands to watch over and take her (him) through every sginle thing she will experience right to the end of her cure.

There are many here with excellent info and advice.  I was at DH's side for 22 months through his time with this disease.  You both will overcome this.  If you will be her constant care giver, be her ears especially at every appt.  Take a notebook if you want to, may be a good idea.  As she does the treatments, ask many questions.  There will be many and she needs to know and be in the know.  There will never be a silly question.  You will become so knowledgeable throughout this process, you may not want to be but it will become inevitable.  She will not remember everything so you will become her eyes and ears.

Yes for sure take a cardi or poncho for both of you if she does not.  Her Drs & Nurses are angels from heaven.  They will also ask many questions especially the infusion Nurses so that they know their patient is comfortable.  She will have many ups & downs but be there for her, she'll need your help and will love you for being by her side, to hold her hand, to give her a hug every day.

There is a light at the end of this tunnel, hard to see now but trust me, every day it becomes a little easier to see.  You'll be amazed at how strong the patients are. 

Honored Contributor

I've gone a couple of times with my sister and I have to say that I was extremely impressed with the Infusion Center. There was a series of pod like sections with eight small rooms to a section. The sections each had a nurse and other medical staff to help the patients. Each room had a television, recliner and two chairs for visitors. If the patient required a blanket, there were heated or regular ones available. If the patient fell asleep there was a lounge area for visitors to sit and read or watch television. Out in the lounge area there was a cart with sandwiches, beverages, fruit and other snacks for both patients and visitors. 

Happy thoughts and best wishes for you and your friend. Heart

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

Due to other patients doing chemo in the same room, there were no famiy and friends allowed.  Others immune systems were low and exposure to anythig would not be good.  The place was clean, well staffed, and rather had a happy positive atmosphere.  '

Your friend needs to be transparent with her doctor, period. 

Have her take along a book to read if allowed - televisions are usually provided. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

After reading the replies, there are many variables, some people can have others with them, some places do not permit that.    Both my husband and I have received Chemo,  times vary -  you will find that out at the first visit if not before.   The employees in the department are always very kind, informative and will take good care of your friend.   I am so glad you are going with her, at least for the first time - it is overwhelming just thinking about it.

Maybe call ahead and some of her questions will be answered.

Valued Contributor

As always,  thank you for your help.

Honored Contributor

@Miranda1550 wrote:

I trust the knowledge of the ladies  of the Forum..  I am taking 

a friend for her Chemotherapy treatment.    What will happen?

Will I be in the room with her?  She does not want to ask the DR.

any questions.  

When I went with my mom....I went in the room with her. Her chemo was done in the doctor's office and was like a shot...not a long infusion.

Respected Contributor

Re: Chemotherapy

[ Edited ]

During October of each school year I would teach 13-14 year olds to knit and we would knit Healing Shawls for chemo patients.

Younger children may not have the sustained interest and fine motor skills to complete a shawl. Also to avoid being an unpaid babysitter I limited this to the older students.

Several of these lovely students were recognized and honored by Bridgeport, CT hospital for their shawls and caring. I was very proud of them.

Honored Contributor

I always ran hot when I had cancer/chemo, even when my head was bald I couldn't even wear a hat in winter. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Re: Chemotherapy

[ Edited ]

I finished chemo in Nov.  My hospital allowed guests.  Some people would bring a big group.  I found that distracting.  I brought a guest a couple times.  There was a guest chair and tv at every station.  

On chemo day I was there for almost 6 hours.  First giving blood, a quick appt with the Dr, chemo pre drugs, then chemo.  My chemo room had coffee, soda, juice and crackers for everyone.  They always offered me a heated blanket, but I was never cold. There were tons of restaurants nearby for the guest to pick up lunch.  I always packed bottles of water, snacks and a sandwich.  Plus I had my kindle, magazines, newspaper.  I packed like I was going away on vacation for two weeks.  Everyone there was always really nice.