Valued Contributor

I trust the knowledge of the ladies  of the Forum..  I am taking 

a friend for her Chemotherapy treatment.    What will happen?

Will I be in the room with her?  She does not want to ask the DR.

any questions.  

Respected Contributor

I went with my sister once and was able to sit with her.  I don't know if all situations are the same.  But, she should not feel hesitant about asking her doctor anything.  You may also want to post this on the Wellness forum because I'm sure there are ladies who will know.

Good luck to your friend.

Respected Contributor

When I had chemo it was in a largish room with recliners for many patients.  Family/ friends could sit nearby.  It can take an hour or more.  We had volunteers offer coffee, crackers.

Respected Contributor

Your friend should bring a juice box/snack if possible and a shawl or light sweater.

Infusions can take a good while, be prepared.

Your friend NEEDS to ask her oncologist questions and find out how to reach the office during nights/weekends. She should have anti-nausea meds prepared at home. She may be very tired after and this can last for a day or so-everyone is different. She also may be advised to limit exposure to firiends/relatives and small children since her immune system will be compromised.

This is not a time for her to feel shy w/her doctor. Been there and done this.

God bless both of you! Caregiving is a blessing.

Contributor

Most infusion centers are super patient friendly and all about comfort.  No doubt you will be more then welcome to be with her.  I took my hubby for his.  He was in a lounger with his own television.  Lots of people will be getting treatment too.  Volunteers all around offering snacks.  Also lots of people stopped by to offer him any support services he needed---like researching his cancer, food/diet, ect.  It will probably be chilly in there so take a comfortable throw or hoody for you both.  The first day they typically give the patient an introduction so it will take more time.  Depending on the chemo she is recieving you may be there for an hour or several.  If she is not asking questions she is no doubt very scared.  I understand---its not easy.  You are a wonderful friend and she will need you.  Prayers for you both. 

Esteemed Contributor

When I used to go w/my late husband it was a large long room w/recliners along one wall for the patients, across from those along the opposite were chairs for those who were accompanying them, a tv, coffee, snacks (usually crackers & cookies) magazines, bathroom.

Honored Contributor

@Miranda1550  There is a wonderful thread with ladies who are going through this or have gone through it on the Wellness Forum... you might post this question on that thread and I know you will get an outpouring of love and help.

Honored Contributor

This is my experience.     My late husband took chemo & he was in a room with others taking chemo.   No family/friends was allowed in that room.    It was very clean & germ-free.   There was a room next door for family.

Some chemo takes hours, some not so much.    She may need a blanket, sometimes one can be provided (because of cleanliness) and you may need sleeves, those rooms can be COLD.   She is probably allowed snacks & drinks, depending on how long she is in there.    You will too.   Hubby got hungry, they would allow me to send in food.

God bless you for taking her.    I wish you both well.

@Miranda1550 wrote:

I trust the knowledge of the ladies  of the Forum..  I am taking 

a friend for her Chemotherapy treatment.    What will happen?

Will I be in the room with her?  She does not want to ask the DR.

any questions.  

Honored Contributor

You should be able to stay with her. At mine it was just a room with recliners and a bathroom. The nurse comes in to administer the meds and they check on everyone as needed. Usually people are reading, listening to music, watching tv or talking. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

see '

Cancer survivors' thread on Wellness forum.