Esteemed Contributor

Re: Check your bank statements!

While I haven't had this happen, I did have a check withdrawn from my account twice. Thank goodness I check my accounts all the time. Took the statement over to the bank and within 24 hrs had the one withdrawal redeposited to my account.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Seannie  "Turns out another customer put our account number on their tax form"

Did your credit union explain how that customer got YOUR acct #?  confused.gif

That could be an honest mistake of someone entering just 1 wrong number.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deeva wrote:

Not to me, but to my Dad. His bank withdrew $25k from his checking account. If I hadn't been monitoring his accounts, he would have lost his money. 

Found out that they debited his account instead of another customer who had made a withdrawal. 

@deeva 

Obviously I don't know the details, but having a balance of more then $25k in a checking account doesn't seem like a very good idea.  There should be more protection against withdrawing large amounts in any account .... even if the account in question was FDIC insured.  JMO    

Regular Contributor

OP here.  When I called the credit union, they would not give me the other customers name.  I was given very little info, period.

I think it may be someone has an account number close to mine and made a mistake entering it when paying their taxes.  Nonetheless, it WAS several thousand dollars and I would like to never have it happen again.

The credit union has me fill out an affadavit online stating that it isn't mine.  However, when the credit union charges it back to the US Treasury, I hope they say it was the wrong customers account.

I would hate for this joker to try to push payment through again on MY account.

Once maybe is a mistake, if it happens again I may file a police report.  Husband is incredibly furious.

So sorry to hear about your losses--this is stress nobody needs.

Seannie

Honored Contributor

This thread has jarred me awake.  I have too much trust in computers and am forgetting that they are operated by humans.

Regular Contributor

@Mz iMac I have worked in banking for the last 47 years.  Account numbers can be very similiar like a digit or two different.  If someone fills out a form and writes their account number down wrong it could be another legitimate account number.  With all of the electronic banking happening now everyone really needs to monitor their accounts.  I used to work in the bank call center and you would not believe what people call in about and they have no idea what their account number even is.  Whisle all of the electronic payments and so forth are convenient people need to monitor their accounts.  At least at the financial instution that I work at we are very good at making things right for our client if something like this happens.

It is what it is!!!
Honored Contributor

I check my accounts everyday.  And My bank notifies me of any  transaction  immediately via email. 

Respected Contributor

I worked in banking from the time I was 17 years old and always am so surprised that people don't check their accounts. Now, more than ever, it's important to keep up with them. With banking being electronic now, it's really easy to make mistakes. When I started in banking, people checked every single check that went through; now debits can go through with no signature, no current date, not made payable to the depositor, etc., etc.  Funny thing: I once had a deposit put into my account that I knew it wasn't mine. It was very difficult to get the bank to make the correction; they didn't believe me Smiley Very Happy

Super Contributor

I am meticulous when it comes to banking and credit card statements. Years ago when I mailed checks, one mortgage payment went to a different account. I had the cancelled check and called the mortgage company and bank to fix the error.

Then about 6 months ago I had some restaurant charges on my credit card from 3 places in western Ohio. I live in PA. That was fixed, I even called the restaurants to let them know about the fraudulant charges. 

Pays to check (pardon the pun) all the time.

Honored Contributor

@Seannie wrote:

OP here.  When I called the credit union, they would not give me the other customers name.  I was given very little info, period.

I think it may be someone has an account number close to mine and made a mistake entering it when paying their taxes.  Nonetheless, it WAS several thousand dollars and I would like to never have it happen again.

The credit union has me fill out an affadavit online stating that it isn't mine.  However, when the credit union charges it back to the US Treasury, I hope they say it was the wrong customers account.

I would hate for this joker to try to push payment through again on MY account.

Once maybe is a mistake, if it happens again I may file a police report.  Husband is incredibly furious.

So sorry to hear about your losses--this is stress nobody needs.

Seannie

Hopefully you're getting a new acct., number now.  If the bank didn't say, you should.