Regular Contributor

We just found out that our credit union paid the IRS an automatic payment from our joint checking account.  Turns out another customer put our account number on their tax form and apparently neither the credit union nor US Treasury checks the name!  Or SSN!

Yikes, now we've requested some back statements to check charges.  Honestly, if the merchant is one we do business with, we don't double check the amount.  But now, we will be scrutinizing much more closely.  So much for trusting financial institutions, lesson learned.

Has anything like this happened to you?

Seannie

Honored Contributor

Re: Check your bank statements!

[ Edited ]

Yes.  Not the same but similar.

Last tax season (July 2020), our accountant put someone else's bank account number in place of my son's.  Since my son had to pay the government a tidy sum, this would have been an unhappy development for the other party.  However, my son caught the error when reviewing his documents for approval. 

Honored Contributor

@Seannie  "Turns out another customer put our account number on their tax form"

Did your credit union explain how that customer got YOUR acct #?  confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Seannie Was it Navy Federal Credit Union?  While the people in customer service have been very nice & patient, they have really made an awful number of mistakes!

My mother who is very ill has an account with them.  She has aides to help her.  She recently let an aide go and replaced her with someone else.  She called on 4/14 (we were there listening) to stop automatic payment to the aide that was being let go.  Well they never did and this person got an extra 3 weeks....$3500.00!!  I am livid!

In addition, we signed another aide up and they made an error with her account number....one less zero and she never got paid.  So at first I thought that I had put down the incorrect number, I checked the photo of the application that I had entered.  I was correct and they made the mistake. 

I have an authorization to check her account online.  I see that scheduled direct deposits have suddenly disappeared!

Meanwhile my brother and I are trying to get POA or joint ownership since mom is now in the hospital and is about to go on hospice care.  This would be the only way they would speak with us to straighten out the mess!

This is all so frustrating and I can't understand how a financial institution can make so many errors!

Respected Contributor

Not to me, but to my Dad. His bank withdrew $25k from his checking account. If I hadn't been monitoring his accounts, he would have lost his money. 

Found out that they debited his account instead of another customer who had made a withdrawal. 

Esteemed Contributor

I check our accounts every day.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

@MamaWick wrote:

I check our accounts every day.

Me too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I check every account daily.  Anything out of the ordinary, I would catch.

Honored Contributor

I also keep up on my checking accounts.  Probably not every day but I also have everything set, on both of my checking accounts and my credit cards, to where I get an email (you can do text, too, but I choose email) every time a charge happens when I'm not in person using the card.

One odd thing happened once - last year, some charges from my dentist's office I gave one of my checking acct #s because, for some reason that day, they couldn't just process a card.   I kept waiting to see that charge come through and it never did so I called them to see what was going on.

It turned out that somehow or other they made an error on the digits (I'm 100% I gave the correct info) and I guess it was coming out of somebody else's account because, although it never came out of my acct, it showed PIF on their end.  That was weird and nobody ever came forward to challenge it.   I gave the numbers again and it got fixed.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Seannie - If you do online banking, you can to your account and pull up and print your statements or just check them.