Super Contributor

Yesterday, my sister did a grocery shopping trip at Wal Mart. She said items were ringing up more than the price showed. The line was so long she did not want to hold it up but she said some things were around a Dollar more. She has a large family and is good with money and pays attention but this caught her off guard. Stores are beginning to have a difficult time changing tags due to prices increasing so rapidly. 

I canceled several things on Amazon on auto delivery and noticed significant increases. 

Floral Pillow
Honored Contributor

I would have held up the line.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Some stores have a price accuracy guarantee: if the scanned price is higher than the shelf price, they'll give you the item free. But they'll probably discontinue the policy if the workers changing tags can't keep up. One store here is having fewer weekly sales; maybe that's so they don't have to change as many shelf tags.

Kohl's has had an electronic tag system for years.  I'm sure it's expensive to implement, but I've thought it would be a nice thing for supermarkets.

Respected Contributor

I pretty much know the prices on what I buy.  If items were ringing up wrong, I would speak up and question it immediately.  

I have rarely ever had this problem at my stores, but when it happens they have always given me the price stated on the shelf or display.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I've seen people do that.  I would never wait in a line like that.  There is nothing I need that badly from Walmart.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I check mine but I dont do that in the check out, I walk away first.  

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

You almost  need to walk around with  note pad and pen recording prices.  I noticed the problem as well.  I don't pack my cart so what I buy at once is very little and easier to check.  I go from store to store finding what I want rather than buy everything in one place. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Check Your Receipts

[ Edited ]

If she was being over charged, others were as well so holding up the line would've been a good thing since the cashier can alert the right people to fix it. Just explain to people why the delay and they'll thank you instead of grumble.

Honored Contributor

I use self check-out so I know immediately when something scans incorrectly. I also buy few items at a time, usually 5 - 10, and figure in advance what the total should be after coupons. If the actual total is different, I know something has gone wrong.

Regular Contributor

For years I use tally marks (rounding off price) so I have a good estimate what the total should be at checkout. Even then when I get home I go over the entire receipt to be sure I have been charged correctly.